Where to Find Magical YOOPERLITE Rocks | Locations | Map | Where to Find These Florescent Glow in the Dark Stones in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Tonight + Tools, Tips, Map
YOOPERLITE Rocks | Locations | Map | Where to Find These Florescent Glow in the Dark Stones in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Tonight + Tools, Tips, Map
By: Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com | Updated: February 26, 2023
Oh my gosh you guys, check out our video on our Yooperlite rocks! See them glow! See where these were found below!
What is a Yooperlite Rock? (Sometimes Spelled Yooperlight Rocks)
Yooperlite is a name for rocks that consist of a syenite-rich fluorescent sodalite. Sodalite is mineral that fluoresces an orange or yellow color under ultraviolet light.
Do these Yooperlight stones really glow in the dark? These rocks are grey in nature when you see them on the beach but glow when under a UV light. Fantastic challenge for rock hunting in Michigan!
They are sometimes called Keweenaw Emberlites, glow rocks, agates, Embers or Sodalites!
Yooperlite Rocks - Glow in the Dark Rocks in Michigan. Photo by Susan Delisle
Are Yooperlite rocks rare?
These glow in the dark stones were officially discovered in 2018 and can be found in the sand along Michigan's beaches in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. They can also be purchased on Etsy or other websites.
Who Is Credited with Discovery of These Incredible Yooperlight Rocks? Erik Rintamaki!
In 2018, Erik Rintamaki was credited with the first verified finding of sodalite-rich syenite rocks in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He found these glowing treasures in the sand on a Lake Superior beach near Brimley, MI. These rocks glow under an ultraviolet light.
Erik was super witty and named them Yooperlites! We are so glad he made this monumental discovery!
Are These Glow in the Dark Rocks Easy to Find?
Our Upper Peninsula resident (Chris' Mom!) Susan, says, "It's best to go late at night and be sure to use a black light."
It takes some patience but it can be done! She and her friend Denise have found a few of these unique rocks in the Keweenaw area after sunset. Once you find your first Yooperlite, they will be easier to spot!
Yooperlite Map (Along Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula)
Where Can I Find Yooperlite Rocks? Check out our Interactive Yooperlite Map!
Map of Where to Find Yooperlite Rocks
These glowing stones can be found on the shores of Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The beaches near the Grand Marais area, as well as in the Keweenaw Peninsula and Whitefish Point are great for searching for Yooperlights.
We created this Yooperlite Interactive Map to help you determine where to find Yooperlites in Michigan. Good luck, rock enthusiasts!
Helpful Map Tips:
- Click on the plus and minus in the left corner to zoom in or out of the map.
- Click on the icons for more info, addresses and photos of the stops.
- Click on the map to drag and move it to view surrounding areas.
- In the Header, click on the rectangle in the upper left of the map to see a menu of all of our stops. Click on anything that looks interesting to see where it is on the map. To hide the menu, click the rectangle in the header.
- In the Header, click on the "square" icon in the upper right side to expand the map for better viewing.
What Yooperlite Rocks Look Like With and Without a Black Light
Where The Rocks In Our Video Were Found:
The Yooperlite rocks in our video were found:
- Whitefish Point
- Wild Cat Road
- Vermillion Point
- Crisp Point
- Muskallonge Lake State Park
- Blind Sucker region
All of these Yooperlite locations are listed on the interactive Yooperlite map above in Michigan's UP.
Is Yooperlite natural? Are Yooperlite rocks real?
Yes, absolutely! These unique collectable rocks are not painted, doctored up or modified from their natural state. And the are definitely real and can be found along Michigan's beaches and the shores of Lakes Superior.
Gorgeous Yooperlite Jewelry: Treasures For Gifts and Yourself!
We love buying local! Superior Fire Lights, located in Sault Ste. Marie, makes gorgeous Yooperlite jewelry, gems and specimens from the glowing stones they have found! These Fluorescent Sodalite necklaces are durable, super unique and very fun to wear!
You have got to see their amazing selection of Yooperlite Jewelry! They are incredible and made in Michigan!
Honest Hands Ring Company on Etsy offers incredible Yooperlite Rings and Petoskey Stone rings that you need to see.
Everything Yooper has a great selection of these glowing dragon eggs that you just have to see! So many cool things! If you want a few spectacular Sodalite Fluorescent Yooperlite Glow Rocks, check their current prices!
This blacklight headlamp to keep your hands free while searching for these Michigan rocks along the shores of Lake Superior. Plus, it's one less thing to loose in the dark. This headlamp is perfect for kids.
- on/off switch
- comfortable adjustable band
- ultrabright 19 led bulbs
Check Current Price Now!
We love this flashlight as it has a wide beam. Good grip with a band to snap onto a backpack. Perfect for rock hunting along the shores of Lakes Superior.
- 51 UV light LEDs have a lifespan of 15 years
- Ultra-compact design: The pocket-size UV flashlight can be easily carried.
- This affordable hand-held UV light is also lightweight.
Check Current Price Now!
These are great Emergency Light Sticks that be used to:
- Mark your trail/entry point so you can find the spot where you entered the beach from your parked vehicle.
- Put a couple glow sticks at the waterline too so you can see it from the beach even if you are a mile away.
This black light UV flashlight, 365nm, has a black filter lens and is excellent for finding glowing rocks and minerals. It comes recommended by rock hunters. 1 AA battery. Perfect light for finding Yooperlite rocks.
Check Current Price Now!
Tips to Find Yooperlites + Know Before You Go
We highly suggest arriving at your intended beach before dark so you have time to become familiar with the area. Walk the path in daylight to make sure there aren't any obstacles or washouts that might cause you to fall.
- Always check the local weather before you go rock hunting. You definitely don't want to caught in a storm at night on the beach.
- Bring a regular white flashlight to help you navigate.
- Bring glowsticks (we love these glowsticks, they are perfect for camping too) - So you don't lose each other and they can be used to mark the area where you entered the beach so you can find your way back to your car since it will be well after sunset when you leave.
- Bring a bag or backpack to house any Yooperlite rocks you find. These multifunctional crossbody sling bags are perfect as they are lightweight and durable.
- Don't just look in front of you, shine your light behind you as well as different angles of light can pick up the stones you just passed.
- Be sure to wear appropriate shoes as you will be walking in the sand, over rocks and along the shores of Lakes Superior. We recommend wearing sturdy hiking boots or shoes as you can turn an ankle as the beaches of Lake Superior can be rocky. Wearing appropriate shoes is so important when walking on unsteady landscapes.
- Bring extra batteries for your black light and your regular flashlight.
- It's always a good idea to have snacks and water with you on your Yooperlite adventure!
- And of course, bring warm clothes as you explore Michigan's beaches!
When Can I Find Yooperlights?
Yooperlite rocks can be found year round, but if the shorelines are covered in snow during the winter, it will be very difficult. As such, we recommend spring, summer and fall!
When is the best time to find the glow in the dark rocks?
In our opinion, early spring (as early as end of March and April) is best as the beaches have not been picked over yet and the mosquitos and bugs are minimal. Plus, the crashing waves from winter storms have "reset" the beach with all new stones to discover! So get hunting!
Especially in the summer, searching for Yooperlites after a storm is a great idea as rocks could be washed up on shore.
Do You Love Petoskey Stones?
Love stones? Michigan is also famous for Petoskey stones. Learn where to find them and how to polish Petoskey Stones.
Love Rock Hunting In Lower Michigan?
We were blown away by the fossils we found at Rockport State Park in Alpena Michigan. The views are just incredible and the fossils...even more so.
Have you Found These Glow in the Dark Lights? Any Questions?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Superior Fire Lights Not rated yet
Hey!! That is me!!! Thank you so much for the shout out!! I have never been blogged before!! I honestly am just thrilled. Thank-you!!
I actually …
Are Yooperlites rare? Not rated yet
Are Yooperlites easy to find? Are they rare? Can they be worth something?
Finding Yooperlites takes some persistence, a little …
What does Yooperlite look like? Not rated yet
We think these glow in the dark rocks are so cool, we want to find them but what do they look like?
These Yooperlite rocks …
Where can I find Yooperlite? Not rated yet
I just heard about these glow in the dark rocks and we are headed to the UP to try and find a couple. Any ideas on the best ways to find them?
What is Yooperlite? Not rated yet
What are these yooperlights? Where can they be found. are they free?
These incredible rocks are Syenite rocks that are …
Click here to write your own.
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram