Best Oscoda Michigan Things To Do (WOW! Have You Seen Lumberman's Monument and Largo Springs in Northern MI?) + Ausable River Queen, Beach Park, KOA Camping, Kayaking, River Road Scenic Byway & Hiking Trails
Best Oscoda Michigan Things To Do (WOW! Have You Seen Lumberman's Monument and Largo Springs?) | By Sherry Trautman | Traveling Michigan
Have you always wanted to visit northern Michigan but weren't sure what to do or where to go? Well, we've got you!
Just wait until you see all the fun surprises we have in store for you in Northern Michigan!
- Oscoda is the perfect Michigan vacation spot or Michigan destination for photographers, hikers, boat lovers, beach bums and explorers!
Plus, several of our favorite Oscoda places can be visited in the winter!
Where In the World Is Oscoda Michigan? Check Out Our Map!
Where is Oscoda Michigan
Don't Miss These Awesome Adventures In Oscoda Michigan!
Oscoda Michigan is located in northeastern Michigan along beautiful Lake Huron.
- Distance from Oscoda to Alpena: 1 hr; 49 miles
- Distance from Oscoda to Mackinaw City: 2 hrs, 40 minutes; 153 miles
- Distance from Oscoda to Grand Rapids: 3 hrs, 48 minutes; 212 miles
- Distance from Oscoda to Detroit: 3 hrs, 18 minutes; 195 miles
Interactive Map of Oscoda Michigan
Helpful Map Tips:
- Click on the plus and minus in the left corner to zoom in or out of the map.
- Click on the icons for more info, addresses and photos of the stops.
- Click on the map to drag and move it to view surrounding areas.
- In the Header, click on the rectangle in the upper left of the map to see a menu of all of our stops.
- Click on anything that looks interesting to see where it is on the map.
- To hide the menu, click the rectangle in the header.
- In the Header, click on the "square" icon in the upper right side to expand the map for better viewing.
Are you ready? Let's GO! Be sure to use the map above to reference all our stops!
1. Visit Oscoda Beach Park and Huron Lake Pier
Address: 201 E River Rd, Oscoda, MI 48750
If you are looking for fun things to do in Oscoda MI, check out Oscoda Beach Park! It has an awesome sandy beach and a lovely pier! Plus there is a large playground to keep your kids entertained for hours.
What We Love: Clean bathrooms, long boardwalk paralleling the beach/shoreline, lots of benches to enjoy the beach if you don't want to sit in the sand, great area for kids to play, and lots of free parking. Oh, and there is no admission fee. WHOOT!
- Be sure to walk the Lake Huron Pier!
2. Old Orchard Park Oscoda MI Has Great Camping + Check Out the Oscoda KOA
Address: 883 E River Rd, Oscoda, MI 48750
Old Orchard Park Oscoda is one of the largest campgrounds in Northeast Michigan. Located within the Huron-Manistee National Forest, along the River Road Scenic Byway, the park is nearly four miles long and overlooks Foote Pond on the AuSable River. The park is open from March 15 thru November 30 each year.
Old Orchard Campground offers camping sites for campers, tents and pop ups! Plus they offer cabins, yurts and group camping spots. Reserve your spot online.
Also check out the Oscoda KOA in Northern Michigan:
3591 Forest Rd, Oscoda, MI 48750.
Note from the Oscoda KOA: "Do not take side streets that your GPS maybe telling you to take, such as Aster Rd. Take US 23 to Johnson Rd and then left on Forest Road. There is NO other alternative route to the park and any other directions will lead you to dirt roads where it may be extremely difficult to turn around with a large RV."
They offer a heated pool, playground, Jumping Pillow, jump shot, gem mining, fun-bike rentals, rec center (arcade), summer train rides, camp store and laundry facility.
Sherry and Chris Kayaking
3. Go for a Paddle Down the Ausable River!
If you love kayaking, tubing and canoeing, rent a vessel at Oscoda Canoe Rental for the afternoon to get some sun and time on the river! Super fun activity in Northern Michigan!
- Kayak and Canoe trips are 2 hours or 4 hours. You can rent solo or tandem kayaks which is great for families and couples.
Tubing has 4 hour trips and excursions leave throughout the day.
Reserve your space before you go to ensure your tubes, kayaks or canoes are waiting for you!
4. Drive and Explore the Incredible River Road Scenic Byway in Northern Michigan!
The 26 miles stretch between downtown Oscoda to our final stop westbound at the Westgate Scenic Overlook is absolutely gorgeous. Heck, even if you just drove and never stopped along the way you will be in awe of the beauty of the forests.
Super Scenic Stops along the River Road Scenic Byway in Oscoda Michigan includes:
- Ausable River Queen
- Lumberman's Monument
- Largo Springs
- Westgate Scenic Overlook
We will discuss all of these below!
5. Glide Down the Ausable River on the Colorful Ausable River Queen
Ausable River Queen
Address: 1775 E River Rd, Oscoda, MI 48750
Oh my gosh you guys, if you want a great Michigan vacation idea or fun places to go in Michigan, your family will absolutely love this riverboat cruise!
- Plus, it's the ultimate Michigan color tour and one of the best places in Michigan to see the fall colors. The riverbanks are especially gorgeous as the trees start to change from green into colorful hues of reds, oranges and yellows.
We love that Ausable River Queen is family owned and run. There's just something about supporting a family business!
So, welcome aboard the colorful Ausable River Queen for an enjoyable afternoon on the scenic Ausable river.
Cap and I spotted the elusive Michigan river sharks! lol!
Fully expect some shenanigans along the way from the funny (yet informative) river caption. He narrates and tells funny stories and facts about the area.
The Ausable River Queen has snacks, hot dogs and alcoholic drinks so you can grab lunch while floating down the scenic and peaceful AuSable river.
- There is also a restroom on the lower level.
There are upper and lower levels, and both are covered and shaded. You can walk around, look out all the windows and take lots of photos.
As you can see, my dad was super excited about this riverboat ride!! The upper level has a bar, windows that open or close, and large tables so you will be very comfortable on this lovely Michigan excursion!
6. Visit Lumberman's Monument: Awesome Photography, Hiking and Sightseeing in the Huron-Manistee National Forests
Address: 5401 Monument Rd, Oscoda, MI 48750
Read Our Full Article --> Lumberman's Monument, it's a breathtaking area in Oscoda Michigan!
Lumberman's upper view in the fall!
And...Lumberman's upper view in the winter! Both are spectacular! So check out Lumberman's Monument in the Winter, it's breathtaking!
Isn't this view spectacular?
7. Visit Breathtaking Largo Springs
So, my friends...
You have got to visit Largo Springs, an incredibly scenic natural springs in Northern Michigan. It's just breathtaking during spring, summer, fall and winter!
--->For more info, check out our Largo Springs article with lots tips, things to know and a video!
8. Enjoy the Westgate Scenic Overlook on 65
Westgate Overlook is only a few minutes to the west of Largo Springs on 65 (River Road National Scenic Byway) by Loud Dam Pond. It's just a short walk to the main boardwalk platform offering panoramic views of the Au Sable River far below.
- There is a porta john near the main overlook and parking area.
(Of course it's lovely in the spring, summer and fall too, this just when were in the Hale area!)
If you walk to the west, you can see another view of the Au Sable River from the west deck. If you continue on for two miles (about 30-45 min walk) you will arrive at the Rollways Day Use/Picnic area.
Westgate Overlook is a great location to view the river and see Michigan fall color.
Check These Places Out (and More) This Winter!
Best Oscoda Michigan Hotels
Oscoda and Tawas Michigan are close to this incredible Michigan scenic byway.
AmericaInn by Wyndham Oscoda -This hotel has an indoor pool and is near the Ausable River. We love that they offer a full hot breakfast!
Huron House Bed and Breakfast - Quaint, modernly appointed rooms, some with fireplaces, is a very romantic getaway for couples. Enjoy walking along the beach if the weather permits or cozy up by the fire place.
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram
Have A Great Story About This Topic?
Do you have a great story about visiting here? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...