30 Best Michigan Ice Skating Rinks 2022-2023 (Indoor and Outdoor) Public Skating, Figure Skating, Drop In Hockey in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Frankenmuth, Ann Arbor, Traverse City, and More | Fun Things to do in Winter!
Best Michigan Ice Skating Rinks 2022-2023 (Indoor and Outdoor) Public Skating, Figure Skating, Hockey in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Frankenmuth, Ann Arbor, Traverse City, and More | Fun Things to do in Winter!
By: Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com | Last updated: December 27, 2022
Each winter, Chris and I like to engage in a new winter sport to get us outside and exercising! This year, Michigan ice skating is our challenge! Yikes!! Chris has a slight edge as he was an avid ice hockey player in college, so he's ready to get on the ice!
I was shocked to discover so many fantastic indoor and outdoor ice skating rinks in Michigan!
- Places to ice skating are located in Armada, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Farmington Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak, Milford, Brighton, Mt. Pleasant, Flint, Holland, East Lansing, South Haven, St. Joseph, Frankenmuth, Petoskey, Ann Arbor, Muskegon, Marquette and more!
Best Michigan Ice Skating Rinks Map
- Zooming in: Click on the plus and minus buttons at the bottom left of the map to narrow in or out of the map. Or scroll with your mouse or use two fingers on your phone.
- Moving the Map: If using a mouse, click on the little hand icon to move the map around.
- More Info: Click or touch the colorful pins to obtain more information about the event or schedule.
- Drop Down Menu: Click or touch the square with the small arrow on the upper left side of the map for a drop down menu to find particular events or locations.
- Expanded Map View: Click the grid marks on the upper right of the map to expand the map.
1. Blake's Ice Skating Rink - Armada: Perfect Chance to Go Michigan Ice Skating This Winter Season!
Where: Blake’s Orchard & Cider Mill, 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada, MI 48005
When: Weekends only, November 18, 2022 - January 8, 2022
Come out for an incredible Winter Wonderland Experience at Blake's! Michigan ice skating at its best! You will love their 2,000+ square foot synthetic skating rink, eight dining igloos and newly constructed open-air holiday bar for an afternoon or evening of winter fun in Michigan!
Buy your tickets early on their website.
2. Ice Skating Detroit: Top 13 Indoor and Outdoor Rinks in Downtown and Metro Detroit This Winter!
First, let me tell you about the most iconic place to go ice skating in downtown Detroit. Campus Martius Park's The Rink is THE PLACE to get into the Christmas spirit! Plus, your backdrop is the incredible Detroit Christmas tree!
Where: The Rink at Campus Martius Park, Woodward Avenue in Downtown Detroit.
When: Open seven days a week, including holidays, from mid November through March. Check their website for details before you go.
- Since we found SO MANY ice skating rinks in the greater Detroit area, we made a page just for the Best Detroit Ice Skating Rinks! Includes Farmington Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak and more! (You gotta check out the brand new one in Royal Oak!)
3. Stony Lake Township Park - Oxford
Where: 1397 Lapeer Road ( M-24 north of Oxford just past Ray Road) Oxford, MI 48371
When: Dawn to dusk, year-round
Go ice skating this winter on Stony Lake at Stony Lake Township Park! But just so you know, the Oxford Township Parks and Recreation Department does not monitor ice conditions or thickness. Ice fishing and skating is at your own risk!
4. Kensington Metro Park - Milford
Where: 4570 Huron River Pkwy, Milford, MI 48380
When: Check their website calendar for dates, times and more info.
Chris and I absolutely ADORE Kensington Metro Park. As season passholders, we love walking or biking the trails, feeding the birds from our hands and seeing the Sandhill cranes (in the summer).
We are excited to visit Kensington Metro Park this winter!
So, be sure to bring your own ice skates so you can glide across the small rink located near the Orchard Picnic area. There is a picnic shelter nearby with a walkway mat from the shelter to the rink. Rink is open when ice conditions permit.
5. Kensington Valley Ice House - Brighton
Where: 10540 Citation Dr, Brighton, MI 48116
When: Check their online calendar but generally they are open Monday-Friday and Sunday. There is an admission and skate rental fee.
Ice skating rink in Livingston County, Michigan. Come on out for open skate nights where skate rentals and skating aides are available on a first come basis. Be sure to register online first!
6. Martin Ice Arena- Mt Pleasant MI
Where: Martin Ice Arena Mt Pleasant MI
When: Check their website calendar for dates, times and more info.
The Martin Arena, located at the Isabella Community Sportsplex in Mt Pleasant offers youth hockey, figure skating, high school and collegiate club hockey teams, learn to skate programs, public skating, tournaments, events and more!
There is a fee for skating and you can rent ice skates too.
7. University of Michigan-Flint Ice Rink
Where: 303 Saginaw St., Flint, MI
When: Open seasonally between December and March.
Please call to confirm rink status and hours. (810) 762-3441
The University of Michigan-Flint’s Ice Rink offers free community skating and skate rental available for $3 inside University Pavilion (limited sizes and quantities, please bring your own if you have them).
8. Griff's Icehouse West- Holland (Fun Indoor Michigan Ice Skating!)
Looking to go ice skating in Holland MI? Griff's Icehouse offers hockey leagues, events and awesome nights for public skating!
Where: Public Skate in Holland MI at Griff’s IceHouse West, 4444 Holland Ave, Holland, MI 49424
When: Public skating all year at Griff’s IceHouse West, as well as skate rental.
Public Skating Prices include admission & skate rental for $10.00 for adults and children. (Verify pricing, obtain tickets, and get info on their website before going).
9. Lansing - Learn to Skate, Hockey, Figure Skating, Public Skating and Leagues!
There are two great spots for ice skating in Lansing, one is indoor and the other is outdoor! Such fun things to do in winter in Michigan!
- Downtown Lansing at Reutter Park (400 S Capitol Ave, Lansing, MI 48933) is a 3,300 sq ft synthetic ice outdoor skating rink. Colorful lights, benches, and heaters will surround the rink.
- Suburban Ice-East Lansing (2810 Hannah Blvd, East Lansing, MI 48823) has great programs including Learn to Skate, FUNdamentals of Hockey, figure skating, public skating, and many different adult leagues. They are home of the Lansing Skating Club and Lansing Hockey Club.
10. St. Joseph- John & Dede Howard Ice Arena - Great Outdoor Michigan Ice Skating!
Where: John & Dede Howard Ice Arena, 2414 Willa Dr. St Joseph, MI 49085
When: The arena should be open Monday, November 21, 2022 for the winter skating season.
Enjoy the John and Dede Ice Arena's warming shelter featuring a wood-burning fireplace and restrooms. It's a great place for Michigan ice skating!
As a fun side note, their daughter, Lainie Howard was Blossomtime Queen in 1988!
The open skate schedule is available on their website. The arena hosts hockey games and hourly ice rentals.
Skate Rental $3.00
11. Frankenmuth Ice Rink is One of Our Favorites Places to Go Ice Skating in Michigan!
Where: Located in Zehnder Park (right next to Zehnder's restaurant on Main street)
When: Open November 25-February 28, 2022
Bring your family and friends to Frankenmuth to go ice skating! This lovely brightly lit ice skating rink is safe, affordable and great family fun! Such fun things to do in winter in Michigan!
- You can rent skates too, so don't worry if you don't have any of your own. If the idea of sharing skates with strangers makes you cringe, these skates are highly rated!
- The ice rink is open Monday through Sunday. Check their website for hours.
12. Petoskey Winter Sports Park
Where: 1100 Winter Park Lane, Petoskey
When: Winter! (Sorry, that was a snarky answer...) Just check their website early December for their schedule, times and more info. ;)
Free Admission + Skate Rental Fee. The Petoskey Winter Sports Park has a Main Rink, Hockey Rink, Sledding Area and Ski Area with
a Warming House/Concession and Skate Sharpening service.
13. Centre Ice Arena- Traverse City
Where: 1600 Chartwell Dr, Traverse City, MI 49696
When: Open skate is available at the Howe Arena select days and times throughout the week. Check their online schedule as times tend to change.
$5 per person and $5 to Rent Skates
They also offer Drop-In Hockey so be sure to check their schedule!
14. Buhr Park Outdoor Ice Arena Offers Ice Skating and Drop in Hockey – Ann Arbor
Where: Buhr Park, 2751 Packard Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
When: Opens for the season Saturday, November 19, 2022 through February (weather permitting). Check their schedule for open skate dates, times, rentals, rules and info.
The rink has a cooled subfloor that allows them to maintain ice even when it is over 50 degrees outside! The facility offers locker rooms/lockers, vending machines and skate sharpening services.
Burh Park also offers drop in hockey and "Sticks and Pucks" which is a public session open to all ages and all skill levels. This is a great opportunity for hockey players to focus on individual skill development.
15. Rosa Parks Circle – Ice Skating Grand Rapids (Outstanding Outdoor Michigan Ice Skating)
Where: Rosa Parks Circle, 135 Monroe Center St NW.
- Parking Ramps: Monroe Center Ramp and the Louis-Campau Ramp are closest to the Grand Rapids Rosa Parks Circle for ice skating.
When: The 2022-23 season begins on November 25. 2022 and ends on February 26, 2022.
Rosa Parks Circle ice rink is one of Grand Rapids' treasured winter destinations. Check their schedule for open skate dates, times, rentals, rules and info.
Season Passes & Punch Cards. They have 90-minute skating sessions with resurfacing between. Skate sessions are open to reservations and walk-up skating.
Admission: Adults (18 and over) $4.00 and Youth (17 and under) $2.00. Skates are free with admission. Ice balance aids are available and skate sharpening services are available for $5.
Personal belongings can be kept in a shoe bin and lockers are available for $0.25. There are public restrooms on site at the rink and the ice skating rink is wheelchair accessible.
16. Muskegon Winter Sports Complex: Skate Through the Woods & Play Pond Hockey!
Muskegon Winter Sports Complex has acres of outdoor ice for skating and hockey. The rink is located near the lodge, with space for both family skating and for playing hockey. You can skate under the lights at night too!
They offer trainers to help with balance also have double bladed skates for toddlers. Muskegon Winter Sports Complex offers free skate lessons on select Wednesday nights in the winter. Check their schedule for open skate dates, times, rentals, rules and info.
Oh, and there's pond hockey, cross county skiing and snowshoeing too!
- Skate through the Woods - So this is cool. Muskegon Winter Sports Complex has a one-of-a-kind ice skating trail taking you on a 1/4 mile figure-eight loop through their white pine forest! The trail has smooth ice and is lighted every night.
17. Lakeview Arena – Marquette
Where: 401 E Fair Ave, Marquette, MI 49855
Public skating, drop in hockey, drop in figure skating. They offer skate rentals and skate aids. Check their schedule for open skate dates, times, rentals, rules and info.
18. Victory Ice Center
Where: 40475 Plymouth Road, Plymouth, MI 48170
Victory Ice Center doesn't have open skate nights, but you can rent the ice skating rink for
- Ice Hockey Teams
- Figure Skating
- Drop In Ice Hockey
- Birthday Parties
- Corporate Events
- Group Activities
- Recreational Use
19. Mt. McSauba Recreation Area
Where: 9223 Mt McSauba Rd, Charlevoix, MI 49720. Rated one of the top three small ski areas in the U.S. by Ski Magazine, Mt. McSauba offers affordable family skiing. Mt. McSauba is a winter recreation playground, offering is a skating rink with a warming cabin on the south side, a lighted sledding hill on the north side and behind the towering dune, a cross-country ski trail.
20. City Forest in Midland Michigan Ice Skating
City Forest Ice Skating Rink - City Forest has one large lighted ice rink located directly in front of the chalet. The rink is lighted daily from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. There is no hockey allowed on the ice.
21. South Haven Ice Skating Rink
Where: 546 Phoenix St, South Haven, MI
Come on out and go ice skating in South Haven, Michigan's covered rink! Season and daily passes are available.
22. Warren City Ice Rink
Where: 29000-29406 S Civic Center Blvd, Warren, MI 48093