20 Magical Michigan Christmas Places To Visit, Best Things to Do and Holiday Events This Season | See Santa, Holiday Parades, Reindeer, Frankenmuth Christmas Store, Steam Trains & Lights Galore!
20 Magical Michigan Christmas Places To Visit, Best Things to Do and Holiday Events This Season | See Santa, Reindeer, Frankenmuth Christmas Store, Steam Trains & Lights Galore!
By: Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com | Last Updated: November 20, 2022
Are you wondering what there is to do for Christmas in Michigan? or "Where should I go for Christmas in Michigan?"
Well, grab your mittens as we embark on sleigh rides, visit Santa, ride steam trains, visit Christmas villages, pet adorable reindeer, see Christmas lights and explore the World's Largest Christmas store!
20 Magical Michigan Christmas Places To Visit, Best Things to Do and Holiday Events
Michigan Christmas: Best Holiday Events, Things to Do, Sleigh Rides, Drive Through Lights, Christmas Villages to Visit!
1. Henry Ford's Greenfield Village: Holiday Nights is a Wonderful Michigan Christmas Festival (See Santa Clause!)
Henry Ford's Greenfield Village Holiday Nights
Where: Greenfield Village, 20900 Oakwood Blvd, Dearborn
WOW! We absolutely love visiting Henry Ford's Greenfield Village during Holiday Nights each December! This Michigan holiday festival a wonderful way to get into the Christmas mood!
Watch Fresh Donuts Being Made, See Cute Reindeer, Horse Drawn Carriages and FUN at Henry Ford Greenfield Village During Holiday Nights
Visit with Santa, sip sweet hot chocolate or indulge in soft, freshly made donuts (see them freshly made before your eyes)!
Explore several buildings including a lovely church with stained glass windows, learn more about Webster's dictionary and see what you could have purchased in a general store in the 1900's!
Click the arrow above to hear the incredible live caroling at Greenfield Village Holiday Nights. Grab a ride in these quaint horse drawn carriages!
We were so surprised to see Santa's reindeer; This is mama and her 18 month old fuzzy reindeer daughter! What a lovely way to celebrate Michigan Christmas!
Learn More: Greenfield Village Holiday Nights
2. Visit Crossroads Village and Ride the Huckleberry Railroad for a True Michigan Christmas
Crossroads Village and Huckleberry Railroad is so festive this Michigan Christmas!
We absolutely love visiting Crossroads Village and Huckleberry Railroad each winter season. It's a fantastic way to get into the Christmas Spirit!
Be sure to book your tickets ahead of time so you can ride the steam train and enjoy a yummy buffet dinner.
3. Visit Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland - The Best Michigan Christmas Store in Frankenmuth!
Bronner's Christmas Wonderland - Frankenmuth Michigan. Michigan's Christmas Village
Did you know that Bronner's, Frankenmuth Michigan's Christmas Store, is the largest Christmas store in the world?
- The retail space is 2.2 acres which is 1.7 football fields!
- Their average daily electricity bill is $1,250.00!!!
- Bronner's Christmas Wonderland sells so much lights that if you spread them all out, end to end, the lights would span about 530 miles! That's a lot of twinkle power!
Bronner's Christmas Wonderland - Frankenmuth Michigan. Michigan's Christmas Village
Bronners (the Frankenmuth Christmas Store) is open year round! We recommend spending at least two hours to explore the vast store as Bronners Christmas Wonderland has every ornament, decoration and lights you could ever wish for!
Downtown Frankenmuth Michigan is all decked out at Christmas, earning it's place in our list of favorite Michigan Christmas towns to visit. There are so many things to do!
4. Visit the Huge Downtown Market in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids Downtown Market offers a massive selection of food and gifts
Where: 435 Ionia Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
There are several workshops (example: learn how to create "wow factor" Christmas cocktails!), classes and fun at the Downtown Market in Grand Rapids! Explore food stalls, grab great gift ideas and feel the cheer at every turn!
Grand Rapids Downtown Market: Could you pass up these cupcakes? Me Neither!
You'll find spices, oils, treats, seafood, vegetables, meats and fun galore! It's a breathtaking place to purchase gifts, meals or grab gift cards!
5. See the Magical Christmas Trees and Handmade City Replicas at Frederik Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids!
Frederik Meijer Gardens - Michigan Christmas. I love the festive atmosphere with these decorated trees!
- Enjoy over 300,000 colorful lights, visit with Santa, see the rooftop reindeer and check out dozens of beautifully decorated international trees and displays at Frederik Meijer Gardens this Christmas!
Plus, explore the glassed in area near the Christmas trees to see dozens of handmade replicas of buildings in Grand Rapids.
And the best part?
All of the structures are made from materials found in nature, so take plenty of time to try and spot acorns, leaves, roots and bark used to make the incredibly intricate buildings!
Sherry and Chris at Frederik Meijer Gardens - Michigan Christmas
As you can see by our cheesy grins, we are pretty happy here! Humm, OR maybe Chris is grimacing from me squishing him....no, definitely grins, he love me! lol!
6. Best Places to See Michigan Christmas Lights, Light Displays and Michigan Drive Through Christmas Lights!
If you are wondering, "Where Can I Go See Christmas Lights in Michigan?" Well...
7. See the Big Bright Light Show in Rochester!
Michigan Christmas Lights! See the lights in Downtown Rochester Hills!
Speaking of Christmas Lights, you've got to see the incredible Rochester Michigan Christmas Lights this year!
Where is the Rochester light show? Right in downtown Rochester along S. Main Street! The Big Bright Light Show is absolutely incredible!
And the Best Part?
It's free! Either drive or walk though the downtown area!
What time do the Christmas lights come on in Rochester Mi? November through the end of January!
8. The Fifth Third Ball Park Has a Fantastic Christmas Light Show in Grand Rapids!
If you really want to get into the Christmas spirit, you will love driving through Fifth Third Ball Park's fantastic lighted display! Bring along travel mugs of hot cocoa for a lovely Christmas feel! There is a fee.
9. Wayne County Lightfest in Hines Park - Best Christmas Lights in Southeast Michigan
Are you ready to be wowed by incredible light displays? Southeast Michigan Wayne County Lightfest in Hines Park is magical four-mile stretch with 50 animated themed displays and more than 100,000 lights to impress even the biggest Scrooge!
The Wayne County Lightfest will be open Wednesday - Sunday (closed Mondays and Tuesdays) from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM on November 17 through December 24, 2022.
The Lightfest entrance is located at 7651 N. Merriman Road in Westland, which is on Merriman Road between Ann Arbor Trail and Warren Avenue, 2 1/2 miles south of I-96.
The fee is $5 cash per car.
10. Visit Meadow Brook Hall, A Winter Wonderland of Sparkle and Joy!
So, my friends, this year, Chris and I are headed to Meadow Brook Hall during the day AND night!
Where: 350 Estate Drive, Rochester, Michigan
- During the afternoon, we are embarking on their indoor one hour "Holiday Walk" to see Santa (and maybe his elves?). Guests will be able to tour the inside of the historic mansion that will be all decked out with incredible Christmas decor! Meadow Brook hall boasts 50 sparkling Christmas trees, several roaring fireplaces, a 10-foot tall Poinsettia tree created by 150 live plants, dazzling trimmings, and lights galore!
- Then at night, we will be returning for their "Winter Wonder Lights" which is an outdoor walk with Christmas music, seasonal treats and holiday magic in celebration of Christmas. AND I hear you can buy glow-in-the-dark cotton candy and hot cocoa?! How fun is that?
11. Be WOWED By Michigan's Official Christmas Tree in Lansing!
Birdeye view of the HUGE Lansing Capitol Christmas Tree!
Get a head start on your holiday cheer! The Lansing State Capitol tree is usually placed on the front lawn about two months before Christmas! It's absolutely magical so be sure to check it out!
While you are there, tour the Lansing State Capitol, it's absolutely magical! Here are more things to do in Lansing, too!
12. 8 Best Michigan Christmas Towns You Must Visit This Holiday Season!
Every Christmas, Chris and I love visiting as many Michigan Christmas Towns as we can to immerse in the holiday spirit! There's nothing like the sight of sparkling lights, storefronts decorated for Christmas, and shops filled with colorful gifts to get into the Christmas spirit!
13. Ride the 7 Most Festive Michigan Christmas Trains This Holiday Season! (The Polar Express Is a Must-Do!)
Chris and I absolutely love embarking on Michigan Christmas train adventures each holiday season! It's so fun singing Christmas carols as the train chugs along the tracks!
Grab our guide to the 7 Best Michigan Christmas Trains!
- Oh, and one of our favorite Michigan Christmas trains is the North Pole Express Train! The Polar Express stops at the Village of Ashley's Country Christmas! Beginning in November, the village is transformed into an old fashioned Country Christmas. It is so fun to wander the streets while seeing 1940's Christmas decorations. Enjoy a horse drawn wagon ride, see street entertainment and grab a meal at their several food stops along the way. Plus you can shop to find the perfect handmade gifts, home decor and Christmas souvenirs!
Best Michigan Christmas Trains
14. HUGE LIST of Michigan Christmas Events, Christmas Lights, Things To Do!
Need Awesome Michigan Themed Christmas Gifts?
Best Michigan Cutting Boards!
Best Michigan Gift Baskets
Everyone loves Michigan Made Gifts!!
15. Try Michigan Dog Sledding! What a Great Michigan Winter Activity and Christmas Gift!
If you are looking for an extreme Michigan winter activity, you need to try dog sledding! Depending on the company, you can either drive the team or go for a ride. Makes a great Christmas gift!
Check out our detailed map and places to experience exhilarating dog sledding in Michigan!
16. Go on a Michigan Horse-Drawn Sleigh Ride! (Makes a Great Christmas Gift, too)
Michigan horse-drawn carriage rides are great things to do in winter! Generally available December through March (depending on the weather), gather your family and loved ones for horse-drawn sleigh rides across beautiful snowy terrain!
See our map and details of the best horse drawn sleigh rides in Michigan!
17. See Live Reindeer in Michigan!
Photo By: Rooftop Landing Reindeer Farm
So guys, you absolutely MUST visit at least one Michigan reindeer farm this Christmas season! Many farms offer events where you can go on a sleigh ride, meet Santa and enjoy hot chocolate!
Grab our Map of the best Michigan Reindeer Farms (+ Events) Guide!
18. Visit Detroit Zoo's Wild Lights!
Detroit Zoo: Walk along the wild side at Detroit Zoo's Wild Lights! November 19-January 8, 2022. The Zoo is even more magical during the winter with sparkly sights and Christmas entertainment!
There is fun and activities for zoo goers of all ages. See millions of LED lights twinkling in the trees, buildings, lighted tunnel, and animal figures throughout the Zoo.
Stroll through the Enchanted Trail, an immersive forest of lights and be wowed by the Polar Express 4D Theater!
19. Make Your Christmas Sparkle with a Holiday Parade (Christmas Parade and Parade of Lights!)
- Christmas In Ida Festival and Parade of Lights - December 2-3, 2022, The Granddaddy of light parades is the Christmas in Ida Parade of Lights features two hours of illuminated and animated floats! Enjoy hearing stories read by Ms. Claus and see Santa's Zoo! Check out ice sculpting, holiday art, concerts, fireworks and more! Address: 2953 Lewis Avenue, Ida, MI 48140
- Manistee's Victorian Sleighbell Parade & Old Christmas Weekend. December 1-4, 2022. Enjoy a Victorian Sleighbell Parade with horse-drawn entries, bagpipers, reindeer and carolers elegantly dressed in Victorian attire! See the draft horses pulling a 30-foot Christmas tree down River Street followed by luminaries, caroling and the lighting of the tree!
20. Shop, Sip Hot Chocolate at Incredible Michigan Christmas Markets!
Each Christmas, Chris and I look forward to bundling up warm and shopping at festive Michigan Christmas Markets all across the state. It's a great way to shop local while finding unique handmade treats, ornaments, gifts, chocolates while having so much fun!
Grab our Guide to the Top 10 Michigan Christmas Markets!
Best Things to Do at Christmas in Michigan!
Stay in the Loop!
Michigan December Events, Festivals and Things to Do
Michigan January Events, Festivals and Things to Do
See what's going on in Michigan in December!
January has tons of activities too! Lots of events, festivals and FUN!
Isn't Christmas in Michigan Wonderful? What are your favorite things to do?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram