Easy Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Recipe Your Family Will Love! Yummy and Homemade with Michigan Strawberries!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Your Family Will Love! | By Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com
Feast your eyes on this lovely homemade, fresh strawberry dessert recipe! I invite you to close your eyes and image a warm, freshly baked biscuit that is crispy on the outside and so so soft in the inside. Pure heaven.
It's killer good. Plus, this easy shortcake is a breeze to make and you probably have the ingredients already in your kitchen.
- Heck, you can use this biscuit recipe to make delicious blueberry or peach shortcakes too! I mean, why not?!
So guys, Chris didn't think he liked strawberry shortcake (and to think I should have vetted this before I married him...) He wasn't thrilled that fruit was presented for dessert. LOL.
So I plunked some Cool Whip (he loves the stuff) on top of the warm, crispy (yet soft) biscuit that was smothered in sweet ruby red strawberries and sprinkled it with sparkly glitter (cane sugar) and gave him "the look."
Which means, EAT IT.
So he grabbed a fork and dug in. He had no choice, really.
Well folks, he loved it! We've converted a skeptic!
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of flour do I prefer? I always use King Arthur Bread Flour. I love it.
What type of sugar do I prefer? I love cane sugar but you can use granulated.
What is shortcake made of? Shortcake is made of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, butter and milk.
Is shortcake the same as cake? No. Shortcake is much denser and has a crispy outside with a soft inside. Cake is more fluffy and has a lot more sugar!
What does strawberry shortcake taste like? Shortcakes taste like biscuits but with a bit of sugar and a crispy crust. They are delicious!
Are You Ready to Make This Yummy Michigan Strawberry Shortcake?
Yummy Michigan Strawberry Shortcake
I hand picked my strawberries right here in Michigan! Here's a great interactive map of where to pick Michigan strawberries!
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 stick of cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 T buttermilk (we will make ours from scratch with a recipe below)
- cane sugar
Strawberry Shortcake Directions
It's easy, I promise!
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat (like this silicone mat!) or spray with non-stick spray like Pam.
3. In a large bowl (so the flour doesn't go all over your counter), mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
4. Cut your cold stick of unsalted butter into small pieces, like in the photo below.
5. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture. This was my grandmother's pastry cutter so I always use it for this strawberry dessert recipe! You could also pulse it in a food processer.
6. Next, we will add the buttermilk to the flour mixture and mix just until a nice dough has formed. Don't overmix.
You can use boughten buttermilk but I always make quick homemade buttermilk.
- 1/2 cup + 2 T milk (I use 2%)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Simply mix the milk and lemon juice together in a small bowl and wait about 2 minutes. Presto! Homemade buttermilk! Works awesome in this recipe.
7. If the mixture isn't sticking together add another tablespoon of milk.
Yummy Michigan Strawberry Shortcake
8. Make 8 dollops of dough on your cookie sheet. Don't overwork it, simply scoop and place on the cookie sheet. Rustic is best here.
- I absolutely love using these baking mats from Amazon. They clean well and I don't have a difficult pan to clean after baking.
9. Place biscuits into the oven and bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. YUMMY!
Strawberry Sauce/Topping Ingredients and Directions
As your strawberry shortcakes are baking, it's time to make the strawberry sauce/topping.
- 3 cups fresh strawberries (cleaned and washed, of course!)
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar (or no sugar if you prefer sugar free!)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Chris likes his strawberries blended so I pulse them a few times in my blender. Kids may prefer it this way too. After I blend the berries, sugar and lemon juice, I put the mixture in a dish covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate as they can be a bit foamy from the blender. A few minutes in the fridge eliminates this.
If you like your strawberries chunky: My parents use the pastry cutter shown above to cut up their strawberries so they are more chunky.
As soon as your biscuits come out of the oven, they are ready to eat!! I love them warm! You can also place them on a cooling rack a bit.
Top your freshly made strawberry shortcake biscuits with the strawberry sauce, a dollop of Cool Whip (or vanilla ice cream, which is my Dad's favorite!) and a sprinkle of cane sugar that looks like sparkles!
Also Try Our Super Yummy Strawberry Pie!
You will love this fresh Michigan Strawberry Pie!
Have A Great Story About This Topic?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Join Us on You Tube!
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram