Michigan Asparagus Season 2023 | Best U Pick Farms and Stands + Map | 3 FUN Michigan Asparagus Festivals! | What Months Do You Pick Asparagus?
Michigan Asparagus Season | By Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com
Are you like me? Do you love asparagus everything?
I love making asparagus quiches, soups, omelets and stir-fries. But my favorite way to use an abundance of freshly picked, tender local asparagus is simply brushing them with mild olive oil, sprinkling a bit of salt and pepper over the tender spears and grilling them to a nice golden brown on the grill. YUMMY!
Plus, I absolutely ADORE picking all of Michigan's fruits and vegetables!
There are several Michigan asparagus farms offering you-pick and pre-picked tender stalks all across the state, so keep reading!
- Important Before You Go Info: Be sure to check with your intended farm/farm stand's Facebook or website page before you go to ensure they are open and ready for picking/buying. Sometimes they are picked out for a couple days, they have important announcements regarding their produce, or they are closed due to the weather not cooperating.
When is Michigan Asparagus Season? What Month do You Pick Asparagus?
How long can you pick asparagus in Michigan?
Michigan asparagus season generally begins in early May and ends in mid-to-late June. It's a pretty short growing period, so mark your calendars!
So many ways to prepare Michigan Asparagus! Photo: Amy Burk
Growing Asparagus in Michigan
Did you know it can take 3 years to produce edible spears of asparagus once the seeds are planted?
Asparagus spears begin growing very thin, about the diameter of a pencil lead during the first year. A crown forms with about six inches of root. In the second season, the crown grows into a fern. Asparagus can be harvested in its third year, and reaches its prime after 6-8 years. Talk about patience!
Oceana County (South of Ludington-Hart and New Era), known as "The Asparagus Capital of the Nation," is one of the leading areas for asparagus growth in the entire country!
Where is Asparagus Grown in Michigan?
Most Michigan asparagus is grown near the Lake Michigan shoreline, where moderate temperatures and soils are ideal.
Michigan Asparagus Farms and U Pick Map
- Click on the plus and minus in the left corner to zoom in or out of the map.
- Click on the icons for more info, addresses and photos of the stops.
- Click on the map to drag and move it to view surrounding areas.
- In the Header, click on the rectangle in the upper left of the map to see a menu of all of our stops. Click on anything that looks interesting to see where it is on the map. To hide the menu, click the rectangle in the header.
- In the Header, click on the "square" icon in the upper right side to expand the map for better viewing.
Lovely Asparagus, Photo: Visual Stories || Micheile
Where to Pick Michigan Asparagus - Best U Pick Farms and Stands
Let's support local Michigan asparagus farmers this spring! Michigan Harvest Season is May and June.
Erwin Orchards: 61475 Silver Lake Rd, South Lyon, MI 48178. Awesome U pick asparagus farm!
Greenville Michigan: 12101 Montcalm Ave NE Greenville, MI 48838. Awesome U pick asparagus farm!
Gregory's Asparagus Farm: 14875 110th Ave, Rodney, MI 49342. Established in 1972 by Marvin and Barbara Gregory, Gregory's Asparagus Farm is a lovely family business committed to providing premium grade fresh picked asparagus to the community! Fresh asparagus is available at their Farm Market which is open during harvest hours. Be sure to call ahead before visiting.
Harvey's U Pick Farm: 2651 15 Mile Rd. Tekonsha, MI. Their asparagus is fresh grown and available at their stand. This summer they will also have pick your own strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
There are around 150 local Michigan farmers that produce around 21 million pounds of Michigan asparagus!
Krupp Farms: 8025 Krupp Ave NE, Comstock Park, MI 49321. Fresh Snapped Michigan Asparagus! Check their webpage for pick up times (not u-pick). They also have a petting zoo for the kids and a fun ice cream shop, The Milk House! Choose from soft serve ice cream cones, ice cream sundaes, sweet treats, hot dog baskets, drinks and more!
Long Family Orchard and Farm: 1540 East Commerce Rd. Commerce, MI 48382 Their asparagus is hand snapped above the ground so there’s no tough white root butt to trim and waste. Check the Long Family Orchard and Farm website for pick up times. Look for the small red shed near the asparagus field, on Bogie Lake Rd.
Norconk Farm: Farm Stand: 10004 Aral Road, Honor, Michigan 49640, Benzie. Harry Norconk, a third generation farmer, started growing asparagus in 1978! He and his wife Barbara are the biggest providers of asparagus in the area. You can find their asparagus at farmers markets and Tom's Food Market throughout West Michigan.
Schultz Fruit Ridge Farms: 60139 Co Rd 652, Mattawan, MI 49071. Their Asparagus is fresh picked daily and grown on their farm. Check the Schultz Fruit Ridge Farms' website for hours and availability.
Slow Farm: 4700 Whitmore Lake Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48105. Plus they have a TON of other fruits and veges to pick!
Did you know that May is National Asparagus Month?
Top 3 Michigan Asparagus Festivals
1. National Asparagus Festival in Hart Michigan
- Did you know Michigan has a National Asparagus Festival? It's located at 16 S State St, Hart, MI on June 10, 2023. Check out June Events Page for the updated date and info for this fun festival.
The Hart Asparagus Festival is the longest running asparagus festival in the country!
2. Empire Asparagus Festival
- Empire Asparagus Festival - June 3, 2023, Schedule: Noon to 6pm and the Kick-Yer-Assparagus 5km Walk / Run starts from the beach at 10am.
3. Asparagus Fest in Grand Rapids
- Asparagus Fest - May 19 and May 20, 2023. Ed Dunneback and Girls Fruit Farm, 3025 6 Mile Road, Grand Rapids, MI.
Friday: 9am - 9pm with Live Music | Kevin Schaffer 6-9 pm.
Saturday: 9-3pm Asparagus Fest with Live Music | The Faulkners 12-3 pm.
Plus, fresh picked asparagus is available in the Farm Market all week!
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Do you have a favorite Michigan U Pick Farm?
Do you have a great story about it? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Follow Us on Instagram