2022 Annual Labor Day Mackinac Bridge Walk (What Every Walker Needs to Know!) PLUS Time Saving Tips, Rules and Things to Know Before You Go!
The much anticipated 2022 Labor Day Bridge Walk in Mackinac City is September 5, 2022 Are you doing your stretches in preparation? ;) We sure are!
Did You Know?
The Mackinac Bridge will be closed to traffic from 6:30 a.m. to noon on Monday, Sept. 5, 2022, for the 2022 Annual Bridge Walk.
You may walk from either end of the bridge and go as far as you like!
1. The easiest plan in terms of ease and cost is to park in Mackinac City (or at your hotel) and walk to the mid-point of the bridge. Hang out a bit to relish the view (and your hard work!), snap some bridge selfies and then head back to your starting point. Just know there will be a long line to start the walk!
2. The Mackinac Bridge Walk is FREE and no registration is required to walk the Mackinac Bridge.
3. The walk begins at 7 a.m. You MUST start walking prior to 11:30 a.m. so get there early to allow for time to find parking and walk to the starting point.
4. Just know that if you wish to walk the entire way across the bridge, you must reach the midway point by 10:00 a.m. or you will be turned around as the bridge will be reopened to traffic promptly at noon.
5. You can walk from either side of the bridge (St. Ignace or Mackinaw City) and continue across to the other side. Just know that bus transportation across the bridge will not be provided so if you decide to walk all the way across you will need to arrange your own transportation back across after the bridge reopens at noon.
6. There are no restrooms on the bridge (so avoid a 64 oz Slurpee right before you start)
7. It takes approximately two hours to walk across the bridge, so if you start early, you can walk both directions (and use the bathroom on the other side before you start back!).
8. Portable toilets will be available in St. Ignace and Mackinaw City.
9. Mackinac Bridge toll is $4.00 to drive across one way so be prepared with cash if you need to be picked up and driven back across after the event.
10. Bring sunscreen, sun hats, sunglasses, water and maybe toilet paper (you never know if they will run out with such large crowds-I like to be prepared).
$20 BRIDGE PARKING
What If I'm Going to Mackinac Island on Labor Day and Also Plan to Participate in the Mackinac Bridge Walk?
If you are going to Mackinac Island with Shepler’s on Labor Day (must show valid ticket) you can park for free in Lot 1 at 311 S. Nicolet St. Mackinaw City or pay $20 to park in Lot 3 close to the Mackinac Bridge start.
Parking is limited and there is no advanced reservations for parking so get there early.
Miles to/from Shepler’s Dock to the Mackinac Bridge
2.5 miles from their St. Ignace dock to the north start
.5 miles from their Mackinaw City dock to the south start
.3 miles from their Mackinaw City $20 parking to the south start
There is no ground transportation to the start of the bridge in Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. You must organize your own transportation from Shepler’s dock to the Mackinac Bridge (or walk-no bikes allowed on the bridge).
If you purchase one roundtrip ticket, you can boat-hop between Mackinaw City and St. Ignace while stopping at Mackinac Island. Boats begin at 7:30am out of Mackinaw City and 6:30am out of St. Ignace.
Shepler’s roundtrip tickets are not assigned to a port at the time of purchase. You can depart from either mainland port, go to Mackinac Island, and return to the other mainland port on one roundtrip ticket.
View this post on Instagram
I'm simply giddy to start planning a trip to Mackinac Island this spring! We pack our bikes, snacks and rock out the day! . The Mackinac Island Lilac Festival is coming up June 7 through 16, 2019. This pretty festival is a 10-day celebration that is the first and largest summer event on the Island! I'm trying to talk Chris into visiting during this festival! . I've compiled the "Ultimate Mackinac Island Guide to Everything" if you are planning on visiting the island this year. It has hotels, restaurants, things to do, transportation, photos, hidden spots and so much more! Check it out in my bio! . . . #mackinacisland #mackinacislandfudge #mackinacislandlife #mackinac #Michigan #puremichigan #greatlakesstate #travelingmichigan #michiganders #mittensmitten #michiganaddict #onlyinmichigan #mittenlove #thingstodoinmichigan #michiganoverboard #michigan_wanderlust #capuringmichigan #michiganphotographer #carriages #fudge #michiganislands #exploremichigan @mackinacisle
Do you have a great story about your adventures in Mackinaw City?
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Bridge walk 2022 Not rated yet
Recommendations on transportation back to your vehicle after the walking the bridge? We are staying in st ignace and starting from there…. Would like …
How much does it cost to walk the Mackinac Bridge? Not rated yet
Is there a fee to walk across the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day? Answer Hi Kylie! The Mackinac Bridge walk is free and you don't need to register. …
How long is the Mackinac Bridge walk? Not rated yet
We want to walk the bridge during the annual labor day bridge walk and wondered how long it is. Thank you, Marcie Answer Hi Marcie! The Mackinac …