16 Magical Michigan Sleigh Rides-Horse Drawn Carriages, Adventures in MI | Elk Viewing Sleigh Rides in Northern Michigan | Top Winter Things To Do! Gaylord, Traverse City...
Top 16 Best Michigan Sleigh Rides-Where to Experience Horse Drawn Carriage Adventures in MI this Winter | Elk Viewing Sleigh Rides in Northern Michigan | Top Winter Things To Do!
By Sherry Trautman | Travel-MI.com
Nothing says winter like Michigan horse drawn sleigh rides! Can you hear those sleigh bells jingling?
Chris and I love booking romantic winter getaways or weekend trips just so we can embark on peaceful Michigan sleigh rides, enjoy time together and relax (hopefully near a fireplace!) each winter season. It will surely boost your spirits over the long winter months!
Winter sleigh rides are available in both the upper and lower peninsula's of Michigan. In fact, Michigan is one of the most popular areas in the country to take a magical sleigh ride through a wintery wonderland! So if you are wondering, "Where can I go on horse drawn sleigh rides in Michigan near me," keep reading!
- There are several northern and west Michigan sleigh rides, too!
We have an interactive map to help plan your winter activities and things to do, check it out!
- Marquette, Gaylord, Traverse City, Frankenmuth, Hillman, Southeast Michigan are popular destinations for fun, affordable, winter sleigh rides in Michigan.
- Plus: See where you can embark on Michigan elk viewing carriage rides with gourmet dinner! It's a top Michigan attraction!
Interactive Map of Winter Sleigh Rides in Michigan
We created this Sleigh Rides in Michigan Interactive Map to help aid in planning your trip. It's so hard to know where locations are without a map!
- Click on the plus and minus in the left corner to zoom in or out of the map.
- Click on the icons for more info, addresses and photos of the stops.
- Click on the map to drag and move it to view surrounding areas.
- In the Header, click on the rectangle in the upper left of the map to see a menu of all of our stops. Click on anything that looks interesting to see where it is on the map. To hide the menu, click the rectangle in the header.
- In the Header, click on the "square" icon in the upper right side to expand the map for better viewing.
Where to Experience Michigan Sleigh Rides
Where To Go For Michigan Sleigh Rides!
Nothing says winter like Michigan horse drawn sleigh rides!
- As an idea, consider planning a Michigan day trip around your preferred sleigh ride destination. It could also be a fun Michigan holiday activity for the entire family or simply a romantic winter getaway with your sweetie. No matter your reason, Michigan sleigh rides are a top winter Michigan activity that you will surely love!
Below is our list of Michigan Sleigh Rides, in order by region.
Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides in the Upper Peninsula
1. Sleighman - Horseback & Sleigh Rides in Ishpeming, MI | Michigan Sleigh Rides in the Upper Peninsula
Sleighman - Horseback & Sleigh Rides - 2115 Olmsted Ln, Ishpeming, MI, For incredible sleigh rides in Northern Michigan, hop aboard a one hour private horse drawn sleigh ride with two Norwegian Fjord Horses for up to six people for a set rate. Or, have a private sleigh party with continuous rides, bonfire, toboggan hill and a warm building for your pot luck!
What a fun thing to do in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in Winter! Perfect romantic sleigh rides in Michigan...hint, hint, great Valentine's Day gift!
2. Pond House Ponies | Ishpeming, MI | Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Pond House Ponies - 2115 Olmsted Ln, Ishpeming, MI 49849 Horseback, Carriage, Sleigh Rides.
Amazing Horse-Drawn Sleigh Rides in Traverse City Region | Northwest Michigan
3. Antler Ridge Farms | Williamsburg, MI | Horse Drawn Sleigh or Wagon Rides, and Live Reindeer! | Northwest Michigan Near Traverse City
Antler Ridge Farms - 6259 M-72, Williamsburg, MI. Book your Traverse City sleigh ride soon!
It's so fun to go on a sleigh ride in fresh falling snow! Come out and enjoy an old fashioned sleigh ride through the woods and open fields for a great bonfire, hot chocolate and gooey marshmallows to roast. You will be pulled by two of the grandest Percheron Draft Horses, most likely Dixie and Danny, a mother and son team. If you are looking for romantic sleigh rides in Michigan, check out Antler Ridge Farms as this could be the highlight of your Michigan winter!
They offer group rides for up to 12 people for a flat rate. Check their website for up to date pricing and details.
While you are there, see their lovely horses, reindeer, and alpacas!
Antler Ridge Farms' draft horses can be seen at events in Elk Rapids and Roscommon too.
4. Ranch Rudolf Inc | Ranch Rudolf Inc | Northwest Michigan Sleigh Rides | Horse-Drawn Sleigh Rides in Traverse City Area | Perfect Weekend Getaway in MI
Ranch Rudolf Inc - 6841 Brown Bridge Rd, Traverse City, MI 49696
If you are searching for Traverse City sleigh rides, check out Ranch Rudolf!
Ranch Rudolf Inc Ranch Rudolf offers horse-drawn sleigh rides through their winter wonderland during the first week in December through first week in March. Super popular sleigh rides Traverse City!
Their beautiful Belgian horses, Beau and Knox, will take you for a scenic ride through the Boardman River Valley where you might catch glimpses of the Boardman River. You will sit in an open bed of hay in their big bobsled. The ride itself takes approximately 45 minutes. Be sure to book these wonderful Traverse City Michigan sleigh rides!
Looking for Weekend Getaways in Michigan This Winter?
Ranch Rudolf Inc also offers lodging, camping and dining! What a great idea for romantic winter getaways or fun weekend trips in Michigan! Many of us could use the chance to slow down, relax and enjoy each other’s company. Their rooms accommodate two to four guests so you could plan a mini vacation in Michigan with your family! The hotel rooms offer views of Ranch Rudolf's grounds, trout filled ponds and the scenic Boardman River.
5. Crystal Mountain | Thompsonville, MI | Northwest Michigan Sleigh Rides | Weekend Getaway Idea!
Crystal Mountain - 12500 Crystal Mountain Dr. Thompsonville, Michigan. Affordable Michigan Sleigh Rides near Traverse City! Get into the winter spirit as you are whisked away through a lovely winter wonderland by a team of Belgian horses. It's an exhilarating winter sleigh ride with a chance to cuddle up with your sweetie!
Group rides are approximately 20-25 minutes in length. Enjoy complimentary hot chocolate and a warm campfire after your winter Michigan Sleigh ride at Crystal Mountain this winter.
Online reservations required. Horse-drawn surrey rides depart and end at the Crystal Center. If you are looking for romantic sleigh rides in Michigan, this is it!
- You may bring your own blankets on the Surrey.
Crystal Mountain (one of the top ski resorts in Michigan) also offers fat tire snow biking, snowshoeing, ice skating, cross country skiing and snowmobiling! So why not make Crystal Mountain a quick winter getaway or a winter activity road trip to keep you fit, moving and in good spirits this winter!
6. Fantail Farm Wagon & Sleigh Rides | Benzonia, MI
Fantail Farm Wagon & Sleigh Rides - 4700 Wallaker Rd, Benzonia, MI
These Michigan sleigh rides are 45-55 minutes in length, with a fairytale-like ride through the woods and fields of their 120 acre farm. As a highlight of your trip, you might see lots of winter critters along your journey so keep a look out!
These winter sleigh rides are sold as group rides, not by the seat. Your group will be in a sleigh/wagon to yourself.
Rides include a hot cocoa kit that has cups with lids, a spoon and cocoa packets to enjoy in their warm building after your sleigh ride! Please bring your own blankets.
Fantail Farm is located in northwest Michigan near the lovely Michigan small town of Frankfort.
7. CJ's Stable | Northwest Michigan (Just North of Cadillac)
CJ's Stable: 7216 W Walker Rd, Manton, MI 49663
Duration: About 1 hour! Includes a 15 minute stop at the fire.
There are plenty of way to get into the winter or Christmas spirit, but our favorite way is with Michigan sleigh rides! SO, come enjoy a lovely and cozy sleigh ride through the snowy trails of Northern Michigan pulled by two gentle draft horses! If there isn't enough snow, they will use a wagon.
CJ's Stable provides blankets for your sleigh ride too! What a fun way to experience the Michigan outdoors while enjoying this top winter Michigan activity.
8. Morgan Valley Farm and McCarry’s Clydesdales | Horse Drawn Wagon or Sleigh Rides | West Michigan
McCarry’s Clydesdales: 17271 Marilla Rd Copemish, MI
Come on out for nostalgic horse drawn wagon or sleigh rides in West Michigan during select dates in December!
Morgan Valley Farm has both Morgan horses and Clydesdale horses.
Black Horse Farm
11177 S Plowman Rd, Empire, MI 49630 Permanently closed now .
Popular Northern Michigan Sleigh Rides | Hillman and Gaylord Michigan
9. Cook Family Farm | Gaylord, MI | Awesome Northern Michigan Sleigh Rides | Private Sleigh Rides
Cook Family Farm - 4282 Hayes Tower Rd, Gaylord, MI 49735
Enjoy a gorgeous horse drawn sleigh ride! They offer private horse drawn sleigh rides so it's the perfect time to play a private sleigh party! Cozy up to enjoy a 40 minute ride with hot chocolate and cookies afterward. Add these sleigh rides to your list of romantic things to do in Michigan in the winter! So be sure to book your sleigh rides in Gaylord Mi!
Psst...Exciting Weekend Getaways in Michigan Idea
Weekend Getaways in Michigan Idea: Book a night or two at Treetops Resort (located at 3962 Wilkinson Rd, Gaylord, MI 49735) and plan a couple day trips!
- Book your romantic sleigh ride at the nearby Cook Family Farm
- Take photos of the 45th parallel sign that is super close to the Cook Family Farm. (Just north on Hayes Tower Road)
- Enjoy a relaxing dinner in Gaylord! Big Buck Brewery is our pick!
- Be sure to see the Michigan elk in Gaylord, they are so majestic!
- If you are feeling ambitious, head south for an afternoon of hiking and exploring in Grayling (one of my favorite small towns in Michigan)
- Hartwick Pines State Park is also very beautiful in winter.
10. Thunder Bay Resort | FUN Northern Michigan Sleigh Ride or Carriage Ride, Elk Viewing, Gourmet Dinner & Wine Tasting Event | Go Skiing Too!
Elk Viewing Horse-Drawn Sleigh or Carriage Ride, Gourmet Dinner & Wine Tasting Events!
Thunder Bay Resort- 27800 M 32, Hillman, Michigan. If you want one heck of a fairy-tale-like sleigh ride experience, you gotta go on a Michigan elk viewing carriage ride with wine tasting and a gourmet dinner! It's an incredible Michigan attraction and destination!
See elk from a horse drawn carriage or or open sleigh pulled by beautiful draft horses! You will be literally be whisked "over the river and through the woods" to the resort's elk preserve to see majestic Rocky Mountain elk. If you are looking for Michigan sleigh rides in Northern Michigan, you will love it Thunder Bay Resort. Open year-round.
Winter Activity Passes include cross country skiing & snowshoeing! Why not book a Michigan winter getaway?!
Book an elk viewing ride on select dates November through March. Also check out their Elk Viewing Ride, Gourmet Dinner & Wine Tasting Events.
- This incredible Michigan winter activity was named one of the “Best of The Best” Adventure Attractions in North America by Destinations Magazine. Also, it was awarded one of the “10 Best Sleigh Rides in America” by USA Today and in the “Top 10 Sleigh Rides” by FOX News. How cool is that?!
- Love Michigan elk but not sure where to find them? Check out our Where to See Michigan Elk that includes a video, lots of photos and MAP!
Horse-drawn Sleigh Rides in West Michigan
11. Post Family Farm | Near Grand Rapids in Southwest Michigan | Winter School Tours
Post Family Farm - 5081 Bauer Rd, Hudsonville, MI 49426
Call to make reservations for your group or school tour.
Experience an incredible horse-drawn sleigh or wagon ride (depending on the weather of course! Michigan weather can be tricky!). Be wowed by Michigan's winter wonderland while being pulled by a team of Haflinger ponies. Hear the sleigh bells jingle and the snow crunch as you glide over the snow.
- Homemade donuts & hot chocolate
- Winter farm story
- Visit with cute farm animals
12. Wild West Ranch | Fennville, MI | Southwest Michigan Winter Sleigh Rides
Wild West Ranch - 1861 52nd St, Fennville, MI.
Come out for a sleigh ride for a mini winter getaway in Michigan! Bundle up and enjoy horse drawn sleigh rides through the woods at Wild West Ranch! Rides are 40 minutes long and are so scenic. Bring a cozy blanket to stay warm! If you love horse drawn sleigh rides in Michigan, check out Wild West Ranch!
13. Common Gentry Carriage Co | West Michigan | Near Grand Rapids
Common Gentry Carriage Co - 3665 15 Mile Rd NW, Kent City, Michigan.
Create unforgettable memories on Common Gentry Carriage Co's classic winter sleigh rides! It's a treasure to hear the sound of German sleigh bells ringing across the countryside, while you sit cuddled up with your loved one on their 1800's horse drawn sleigh. Lap blankets are provided to keep you warm and cozy this Michigan winter. What a fun idea for a winter activity road trip!
14. Healey's Outback Ranch and Guesthouse - Outback Guest Ranch LLC | Stanwood, MI | Mid Michigan, West of Mt. Pleasant
Healey's Outback Ranch and Guesthouse - 12600 Buchanan Rd, Stanwood, MI 49346.
Open December – February, Outback Ranch can take up to 6 adults on their cozy horse drawn sleigh. Enjoy a 35 minute ride through the woods and later, warm up with toasty hot cocoa and a homemade treat. Make your reservations early for this holiday season.
15. Fruit Ridge Hayrides and Sleigh Rides | Kent City, MI (Michigan Sleigh Rides Near Grand Rapids, MI in West Michigan)
Fruit Ridge Hayrides - 11966 Fruit Ridge NW, Kent City, MI, Can you hear those sleigh bells jingling? Enjoy the winter wonderland on a snowy sleigh ride and enjoy the stars of the show, their our team of lovely Belgian draft horses, Zeke and Zoey! Later, get warmed up around a toasty campfire. All rides begin at the barn, journey down through wooded trails and then back up through the orchard.
Rides along the snowy trails are approximately one hour in duration and may be combined with a one hour campfire, either before or after the ride. One of our favorite things to do in Michigan in winter!
Your ticket includes access to the picnic area, play area, and petting zoo! Fruit Ridge reservations are required.
16. Frankenmuth Horse Drawn Carriage Rides | Fantasy Carriage Company and Frankenmuth Carriage Company
Fantasy Carriage Company and Frankenmuth Carriage Company - Frankenmuth, MI, Not a sleigh ride, but these lovely horse drawn carriages are a top winter Michigan experience in Frankenmuth, Michigan. You can enjoy the clip clop of the horses hooves while seeing the Christmas lights or lovely downtown Frankenmuth area. Frankenmuth is one of our favorite places to visit for things to do in Michigan in winter. It's also a romantic Michigan winter getaway idea!
Keep Reading For Fun Things to Do in Michigan in Winter!
Don't be bored this winter! We have TONS of fun things to do in Michigan in winter...both inside and outside!
Try Michigan dog sledding this winter! What a fun winter activity for families and friends! Oh, and it's a very romantic getaway for couples.
So guys, January in Michigan is packed with fun festivals (who doesn't want to watch people jump into ice cold water during Polar Bear Plunges?!), sleigh rides and events you don't want to miss!
Oh, and February...check out our list of Best Things to do in Michigan in February! Snowmobile races, Winter Carnival in the UP, snow parties, WINE...
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram