The Ultimate 2021 Guide of August Michigan Events, Festivals, Fairs, Farmer's Markets, Sunflowers, Art Fairs and Best Things to Do in Michigan This Weekend With Kids (+Music and Blueberry Festivals This Summer)
August Michigan Events and Things to Do | By Sherry Trautman | Traveling Michigan at Travel-Mi.com
The ULTIMATE SOURCE of 2021 Michigan events, music festivals and fun things to do in Michigan in August!
Grab our Boredom Zapping Ideas for things to do in Michigan this summer!
Best Southwest Michigan events monthly calendar. See what's happening in August 2021 calendar!
Destinations: Detroit, Traverse City, Frankenmuth, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Petoskey, Charlevoix, Houghton Lake, Midland, South Haven, St. Joseph, Grand Rapids, Marquette, Northern Michigan, Upper Peninsula and more!
Plan your August Michigan trip or vacation around our inspiring festivals, farmer's markets, u pick farms and events!
Don't miss all the incredible Sunflower festivals! And go picking in the best sunflower fields in Michigan!
FYI, August is peach picking season!
August Michigan events are full swing! BBQ's, picnics, hiking, fireworks, blueberry festivals, boating, sailing and exploring is at its max! Plus, there are lots of festivals in Michigan and lots of summer events!
Traveling Michigan in August is absolutely stunning as our State Parks are lush and green, our lakes are warm and sparkling, and our state is RIPE for discovery!
Farm markets, zoos, beach towns, festivals and museums are waiting for your visit. Let's travel Michigan together! There are so many things to do in Michigan in August this weekend!
Join us on Instagram where I've posted all of our August Michigan adventures! We hope you enjoy our August Michigan events and fun things to do this weekend!
And as always, if you have August Michigan events that you would like listed, let us know here!
Get ready to pick blueberries July through mid August!!
What is there to do in Michigan in August 2021?
There are so many summer events in Michigan! Blueberry festivals, live music, sidewalk sales, rib festivals, Woodward Dream Cruise and car shows galore! Plus, August is ripe for picking blueberries and peaches! Keep reading to see what there is to do in Michigan in August!
THE BEST August Michigan Events-2021
There are so many awesome August Michigan things to see, do and explore!! No way you will be bored traveling Michigan this summer! Lots of events happening this August!
- Dahlia Hill-2809 Orchard Dr, Midland, MI, View eight exquisite terraces planted yearly with 3,000 dahlias - over 300 varieties late July through October. A favorite August Michigan event! ;) Free to visit and the gardens are maintained by volunteers!
- Paranormal Lighthouse Tours, Recurring weekly on Friday at Marquette Maritime Museum and Lighthouse, Marquette, Michigan, July 23, 2021 - October 8, 2021, Weekly on Friday's, 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM with Yooper Paranormal.
- Steamboat Park Live Music Cruises, June 24, 2021 - September 30, 2021 on Thursday's, Friday's and Saturday's on the Grand Lady Riverboat, 825 Taylor St, Jenison, MI 49428 (Grand Rapids). Enjoy a cruise and live music on the Grand River.
- Tours of the Historic Dougherty Mission House, July 10, 2021 - September 19, 2021, Sunday, Friday, Saturday. Location: Peter Dougherty Mission House, 18459 Mission Rd. Traverse City, MI. Friday & Saturday: 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM; Sunday 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Small fee. Awesome August Michigan event!
- Grand Haven Coastguard Fest, July 30-August 8, 2021, 113 N 2nd St, Grand Haven, MI. Tons of concerts, cardboard boat races, food and more!
- Live Music at St. Ambrose Cellars, July 1, 2021 - September 6, 2021, 841 Pioneer Rd. Beulah, MI 49617. Sunday through Friday: 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM; Saturday: 2:30 PM to 5:00 PM and 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM. So many fun things to do in Michigan!
- Biking Historic Sleeping Bear, Throughout August, Time: 9:30 am – 12:00, check their website for booking and dates. Miles: Approx. 5.5 miles, See the gorgeous cultural landscape of Sleeping Bear while riding the Heritage Trail and scenic, rural roads of Port Oneida past farms and pastures. You will stop at seven locations of interest, see unique views of Lake Michigan, and get inside some of the farm buildings.
Other tours include: Farm to Farm Bike Tour, Biking Through Time: Glen Arbor to Glen Haven and Off the Beaten Path: Bike and Hike. This is one of our favorite things to do in Michigan in August.
- Piquette Craft Fair, Ford Piquette Avenue, Plant 461 Piquette Avenue
Detroit, MI, Aug 12, 2021, 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Parking is free, Admission is free. Awesome August Michigan event!
- Bike the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail! If you have your own bike (or you can rent one from "The Cyclelry"), ride the hard-surfaced, non-motorized, multi-use trail reaching 22 miles between Empire and through Glen Arbor up to Bohemia Road. This trail connects Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore attractions and the town of Glen Arbor.
- Jazz at Sunset at Chateau Chantal, Weekly on Thursdays until September 2, 2021, 15900 Rue de Vin, Traverse City, MI 49686, Time: 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM, Price: $13 - $14 per person (includes a table or a lawn spot and a glass of wine). So many fun things to do and events in Traverse City Michigan!
- Old Mission Peninsula Wine & Beer Join-In Tour, Traverse City Wine and Beer Tours, Dates: April 25, 2021 - November 24, 2021, Daily. Location: Traverse City Wine & Beer Tours, 891 Industrial Cir. Traverse City, MI Time: 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Check their website for booking, pricing and details.
- Guided Historic Walking Tours of Grand Traverse Commons, May 24, 2021 - August 31, 2021, Recurring daily, Location: The Village at Grand Traverse Commons. 830 Cottageview Drive, Ste 101,Traverse City, MI. Tour schedules vary by day; check website for schedule. So many fun things to do in Traverse City Michigan!
- The Jim Henson Exhibition: Imagination Unlimited, Exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, June 5, 2021 – Sept. 6, 2021, Time: 9:30 am – 5 pm. Grab your tickets!
- Manitou Evening Sail with Optional Dinner & Sail Package, Traverse Tall Ship Company, Dates: 8/1/2021, 8/2/2021, 8/3/2021, 8/5/2021, 8/6/2021, 8/8/2021, 8/9/2021, 8/10/2021, 8/12/2021, 8/13/2021, 8/14/2021, 8/15/2021, 8/16/2021, 8/18/2021, 8/20/2021, 8/21/2021, 8/24/2021, 8/26/2021, 8/27/2021, 8/28/2021, 8/29/2021, 8/30/2021, 8/31/2021. 13258 S West Bay Shore Dr. Traverse City, MI. Time: 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM. Price: Visit their Website to book!
- Antiques on the Bluff, Lake Bluff Park, St. Joseph, August 1, 2021, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Awesome August Michigan event!
- Motor City Car Crawl, Thursday, August 5, noon-9:00 p.m., Friday, August 6, noon-10:00 p.m., Saturday, August 7, noon-10:00 p.m, Sunday, August 8, noon-5:00 p.m.. This is a new event in downtown Detroit and will showcase new vehicles from metro Detroit area dealers throughout six downtown parks, including Beacon Park, Cadillac Square, Campus Martius, Capitol Park, Grand Circus Park and Spirit Plaza. Local food trucks, beverage stations and family entertainment.
- Zilke Sunflower Festival - Open for visitors August 6-29, 11am to 6pm! Address: 12491 Carpenter Rd, Milan, MI 48160. Awesome August Michigan festival!
- Westview Orchards and Winery's Annual Sunflower Days - August 6 - August 29 2021, 65075 Van Dyke, Washington, MI 48095
- Midland Riverdays + Midland Balloon Fest, Midland, Aug 5-7, 2021 Activities include three days of music, food, entertainment, hot air balloons, and activities for all ages. Enjoy kayaking, zipline, concerts, a beer tent and so much more. See more fun things to do in Midland, MI!
- Traverse City Downtown Street Sale, August 6, 2021, Downtown Traverse City, MI 49684, 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM. There are so many fun things to do in Traverse City during this August Michigan event. Plan your next Michigan vacation in Traverse City!
- Annual Havana Nights Summer Charity Soiree, August 6, 2021, hosted at the Roostertail on the Detroit River benefiting the Belle Isle Boat House! Join this fun indoor/outdoor gaming and garden party featuring Latin fusion music, Monte Carlo style casino games and drinks. Buy tickets early!
- The District Detroit Art Walk Series, Free entry to everyone. August 6th, August 27th, September 10th and October 1st from 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. Located at 1 W Columbia Street between the Fox Theatre and Little Caesars Global Resource Center. Parking is $5 at Fox Garage. See artwork, home decor gifts. Food, beverages, and live street music!
- Kalamazoo Art Hop, August 6, 2021, Downtown Kalamazoo, MI, 6-8 p.m. We love these free August Michigan events!
- Leaman's Sunflower Days - August 6-8, 13-15, 2021, Leaman's Green Apple Barn, 7475 N. River Rd, Freeland MI, 48623
- Thunder Over Michigan, Willow Run Airport, 801 Willow Run Airport
Ypsilanti, MI 48198, Aug 07, 2021 - Aug 08, 2021, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. What a cool August Michigan event!
- Limberlost Bud Bash- August 7, 2021. Between 5,000-10,000 people flood the South Shore of Houghton Lake for a giant boat party every summer. Awesome August Michigan event!
- Kalamazoo Ribfest! August 2021 Cancelled. Kalamazoo, Arcadia Creek Festival Place. There is a fee to enter in the evening- we love this festival! Super fun to pop in for lunch with your co-workers to dispute who has the best ribs!
- Deerfield Testicle Festival - 2021 dates keep changing. American Legion. Dates on hold-organizers are hoping for August or September.
If you LOVE fairs and carnivals as much as we do, be sure to grab our HUGE list of Michigan fairs and carnivals! Don't miss out on funnel cakes, Ferris wheel rides and baby goats!
- Coloma Glad-Peach Festival, Aug 6-8, 2021 CANCELLED Downtown Coloma, Mi The Coloma Glad-Peach Festival is a lively celebration of glorious gladiolus flowers and luscious peaches, both grown in the Coloma region. So come on out to this family friendly festival with live music, a classic car show, parades and fireworks!
- Red Barns Spectacular Car Show and Swap Meet, Aug 7, 2021, Gilmore Car Museum, Hickory Corners, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Over 380 swap meet vendors. This is one of our favorite things to do in Michigan in August.
- Michigan Lighthouse Festival-August 6-7, 2021. Follow the incredibly scenic drive along M-37 through cherry orchards and vineyards, to the 2021 Michigan Lighthouse Festival host, Mission Point Lighthouse.
- Tawas Bay Riverfront Fine Arts Festival, (2021 cancelled), 10 am -4 pm, Shoreline Park, Tawas City, Across from Iosco County Building
- Hoxeyville Music Festival is a music festival held in Wellston, Michigan over 3 days: Aug 13 – Aug 15, 2021 This incredible 2021 Music Festival is located within 150 acres of farmland near the Manistee National Forest. Hoxeyville Music Festival will have two stages featuring national touring artists and incredible Michigan musicians.
- Grand Rapids Comic Con, Friday, August 13-15, 2021, Delta Plex Arena, Grand Rapids, MI
- Ludington Art Fair - Gold Coast Artisan Fair, Saturday Aug 14, 2021 Sunday Aug 15, 2021 at Rotary Park, 100 N. Harrison St., Ludington, MI
- Maple Leaf Farm and Creamery - August 14, 15, 2021, the second weekend of August come out for a customer appreciation day with food from the farm, samples of goat cheese, hay rides and a tour of the goats and the barn. 3060 S 9 Mile Rd, Falmouth, MI 49632
- Kalamazoo County Youth Fair, August 2021 Cancelled 2021, Expo Center at 2900 Lake St, Kalamazoo, MI. Awesome August Michigan event for families, friends or couples!
- Sidewalk Festival of Performing Arts Aug 2021 Dates Unconfirmed, Artist Village Detroit & Surrounding Areas, 17336 Lahser Rd, Detroit, MI. The festival is a wide variety of experiential and interactive art such as dance performances, music, theatrical productions, sculptures and other art installations.
August is the month for juicy Michigan Blueberry Festivals!
National Blueberry Festival - Thu, Aug 12 – Sun, August 15, 2021 1301 M-43, South Haven, MI. This is one of our favorite things to do in Michigan in August.
Blueberry Festival Craft Fair - August 14 – August 15, 2021, Stanley Johnston Park, 202 Dyckman Ave, South Haven, MI
Wild Blueberry Festival - Fri, Aug 20 – Sun, August 22, 2021, 7052 M-123 Paradise, MI
Montrose Blueberry Festival - August 15-22, 2021, Montrose, MI
These are incredible festivals in Michigan!
August is the Season for Blueberry Picking in Michigan!
- National Blueberry Festival and Craft Fair, August 12-15, 2021, South Haven, MI Music, wine and beer tent, farm days and blueberry everything!!
- Urban Salvage Vintage Market, August 14, 15 2021 at 9-4 pm. Bay City Veteran's Memorial Park. $5 entry fee. Awesome August Michigan event!
- Summer Music Festival, August 10-14, 2021, Frankenmuth.
- Czaika’s Blueberry Farm- a U-PICK farm south of Tawas City. The bushes are a mid-height variety which usually ripens late July into early August. One of our favorite things to do in Michigan in August is pick blueberries-see great u-pick locations here!
- Fridays at the Fall, August 13, 2021, August 20, 2021 and August 27, 2021. 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm, Third Street Waterfall Park, 101 3rd St. Bay City, MI. Shows begin at 6:00 pm! Grab your chair and head down to the Falls.
- Chalk Walk Art Festival, August 14, 2021, 12 p.m.-7 p.m. 901 N Water St., Bay City, Michigan
- Tour the Tawas Point Lighthouse-Tawas, The Friends of the Tawas Point Lighthouse and State Park will be welcoming visitors to the lighthouse for $5 for adults/$2 for children. Visitors may tour the lighthouse, ask questions, and climb the tower. A Recreation Passport is required to enter the State Park. Here's the Tawas Point Lighthouse schedule and more info. Tawas Point Lighthouse
686 Tawas Beach Road, East Tawas, MI 48730
- Calhoun County Fair, August 15-21, 2021, Calhoun County Fairgrounds Marshall, Michigan.
- Duck Derby, Chalk Walk, Here Come the Mummies, August 14 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Streets of Downtown Bay City, 3rd and Water Streets, Bay City, MI. We love this August Michigan event!
- Midland County Fair, Aug 15-21, 2021, Midland MI
- Michigan's Largest Sheep & Wool Festival at Allegan County Fairgrounds, FiberFest! August 18-22, 2021, workshops and show. 150 Douglas St, Allegan, MI. This year's Fiberfest will have workshops, vendors, competitions and events!
- Ferndale Dream Cruise, August 20 and 21, 2021. Nine Mile Road at Woodward Avenue in Ferndale, Michigan.
- Keepsake Collection Arts and Crafts Show, August 20-22, 2021, Zehnder Park, 959 Flint St, Frankenmuth, MI. Fun August Michigan Things to do!
- International Festival of Holland, Holland Civic Center, August 21, 2021
- Keepsake Collection Arts and Crafts Show, August 28-29, 2021, Uncle Johns Cider Mill for Sunflower Days
- Wild Blueberry Festival, August CANCELLED 2021, Paradise, Michigan. Arts and Crafts Fair, Blueberry Jamboree, Entertainment and food!!! Visit www.wildblueberryfestival.org for more info!
- Mustang Memories Car Show, August 2021 TBD Ford Motor Company World Headquarters, 1 American Rd, Dearborn, Michigan
What day is the Woodward Dream Cruise? August 21, 2021
How old is the Woodward Dream Cruise? The Dream Cruise began in 1995 by Nelson House and several volunteers to raise money for a children's soccer field located in Ferndale, Michigan. What a huge success!
- Woodward Dream Cruise, August 21, 2021, Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI. The Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day celebration of classic car culture that attracts over 1 million visitors, and more than 40,000 muscle cars, street rods, custom, collector and special interest vehicles. This is one of our favorite August events in Detroit.
- Relix Riot Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Show, August 21, 2021, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm, Gilmore Car Museum, 6865 W Hickory Rd, Hickory Corners, MI
- Alice Cooper with special guest Ace Frehley, DTE Energy Music Theatre, 33 Bob Seger Drive, Independence charter Township, MI, Sep 25, 2021, 7:30 p.m.
- Visit Lavender Farms! Lavender Hill Farm, 7354 Horton Bay Rd N., Boyne City, MI has workshops, events, walks and fun thing to do in July and August.
- Appledore Dinner Sails, 107 5th St, Bay City, MI Sail the Saginaw Bay! Enjoy the sails, the sunset, and a delicious catered dinner. Friday night sails feature a light BBQ dinner and run from 6p – 9p. Saturday night Dinner Sails are four hours long and many feature live entertainment!
August is the best time to hit the Best Beaches in Michigan! Play in the waves, build sand castles, get outside and play with your family!!
Even More August Michigan Events
- Berrien County Youth Fair, August 16-21, 2021, Berrien County Fairgrounds, Berrien Springs, Michigan.
- Michigan Renaissance Festival, Holly Michigan. Weekends & Labor Day • 10am - 7pm, Aug. 2021 dates TBD. Located at 12600 Dixie Hwy., Holly, MI. This is one heck of a great event, we have gone many times!
- 28th Street Metro Cruise, August 27, 28, 2021. 16 miles of awesome cars between Cascade and Grandville along 28th Street. The 28th Street Cruise is the biggest car event west of Detroit! This fun free event draws 275,000+ spectators and participants! Bring your lawn chairs and sit back while vehicles show off their stuff on 28th St. in Grand Rapids.
- St Clair Art Fair - August 28 & 29, 2021. The St. Clair Art Fair is one of the oldest art fairs on the east side of Michigan! Come out to the see the work of over 100 visual artists along one of the largest freshwater boardwalks in the world! Enjoy paintings, photography, sculpture, woodwork, pottery, jewelry and more in Palmer Park along the St. Clair River.
- Sunflower Days, August 28-29, 2021 at Uncle John's Cider Mill.
- Kalamazoo Balloon Fest, August 27-29, 2021, Gull Meadow Farms, Richland, MI. FREE!
- Summerfest, August 27-29, 2021, Downtown Hastings. Come out to enjoy Arts and Crafts, Saturday’s parade, Sunday’s Car Show, and the ongoing entertainment. Several sports tournaments and a 5/10k run/walk.
- Allegan Antiques, August 29 2021, 150 Douglas St, Allegan, MI, over 200 vendors!! 8-4 p.m., $4 admission, free parking. It's a blast!
Ongoing August Michigan Events and Farmers Markets in Kalamazoo, Holland, South Haven, Portage, St. Joseph and Hastings
- Hastings Live: Hastings City Band | Thornapple Plaza Wednesdays
- Wednesday Night Cruise-In | Gilmore Car Museum, Hickory Corners Wednesdays
- Beats on Bates | Bates Alley, Kalamazoo Wednesdays
- State on the Street | Kalamazoo State Theatre, outside Fridays
- Friday Night Features | Thornapple Plaza Fridays
- Food Truck Friday | Festival Market Square, Battle Creek Fridays
- Music on the Mall | South Kalamazoo Mall Saturdays
- Holland Farmers Market | 150 W. 8th St., Holland Wednesdays & Saturdays
- Texas Township Farmers Market | 7110 W Q Ave Tuesdays & Saturdays
- Kalamazoo Farmers Market | Mayors’ Riverfront Park Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays
- Portage Farmers Market | City Hall Parking Lot, Portage Sundays
- Battle Creek Farmers Market | Festival Market Square Wednesdays & Fridays
- Hastings Farmers Market | 221 W. State St. Downtown Hastings Saturdays & Wednesdays
- Richland Farmers Market | Richland Area Community Center Wednesdays
- South Haven Farmers Market | Huron St. Pavilion Saturdays & Wednesdays
- St. Joseph Farmers Market | Lake Bluff Park, St. Joseph Saturdays
We hope you enjoy our exciting August Michigan events and ideas of fun things to do!
What to do in northern Michigan in August?
We highly recommend visiting the breathtaking waterfalls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Grab our guide (with a map) to the most incredible Upper Peninsula waterfalls and how to find them.
Visit Munising and Munising Falls, Whitefish Point, see the breathtaking natural springs at Kitch-iti-kipi and go on an Upper Peninsula Road trip!
Don't miss a moment of August Michigan events and fun! Join our newsletter to have events and fun delivered directly to your inbox!
August is the Month for Michigan Fairs and Carnivals!
If you LOVE fairs and carnivals as much as we do, be sure to grab our HUGE list of Michigan fairs and carnivals! Don't miss out on funnel cakes, Ferris wheel rides and baby goats!
What Michigan Events Are Coming Up Next?
Disclaimer: Please be sure to visit a particular event's website to verify dates, times, happenings and details. We make every possible effort to be verify these the event details but as we are human, mistakes can occur and event dates/times can change. If you see an error below, PLEASE let us know and we will correct it.
Event Centers in Michigan
Still bored? Don't forget to check these Michigan event centers/theaters/auditoriums across Michigan for concerts, events, shows or comedy entertainment!
Here are a few Michigan event centers to inspire you!
- Cobo Hall-Detroit
- Midland Center for the Arts-Midland
- Dow Gardens-Midland
- Kalamazoo State Theatre
- Fire Keepers Casino
- Soaring Eagle Casino-Mt. Pleasant
- Wings Event Center-Kalamazoo
- Miller Auditorium-Kalamazoo
- Civic Auditorium-Kalamazoo
- Chenery Auditorium-Kalamazoo
- Kellogg Arena-Battle Creek
- LMC Mendel Center-Benton Harbor
- Franke Center for the Arts-Marshall
- The Bob-Grand Rapids
- Van Andel-Grand Rapids
- Devos Place-Grand Rapids
- Dow Event Center-Saginaw
Being bored sucks! Never miss another event! Join our network of Traveling Michigan Explorers! Be a part of this amazing community of travelers!
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram
Check Out Our Traveling Michigan Videos on Youtube!
Check out our off-road Keweenaw Peninsula adventures on YouTube!
You May Also Like...
We would love to hear your ideas!
Share your Michigan events, stories, photos and ideas! We love to be inspired!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...