The Best 2021 December Michigan Events and Things To Do!
The ULTIMATE SOURCE of 2021 December Michigan events, festivals and fun things to do in Michigan for families, couples and friends! Grab our 21 Boredom Zapping Ideas!
Destinations: Detroit, Frankenmuth, Holland, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Traverse City, Charlevoix, Houghton, Midland, Alpena, South Haven, St. Joseph and more!
December Michigan Events and Fun Things to Do
December Michigan events are full swing! Cosmic Light shows, steam trains, Christmas lights and visiting Santa are just a few of December events to look forward to!
Traveling Michigan in December is absolutely stunning as our nights are cool but our days are sunny and still perfect for discovering forest walks!
Let's travel Michigan together!
Join us on Instagram where I've posted all of our December Michigan adventures! We hope you enjoy our December Michigan fun things to do!
And as always, if you have December Michigan events that you would like listed, let us know here!
Get ready for Santa Visits, Sled Dog Adventures and Fun for couples, solo travel and friends this December!!
Looking for Michigan Deals and Discounts on Cyber Monday? Check these spots...
*Shepler's Ferry for Mackinac Island
*Wharton Center for Performing Arts
*Paddling Michigan offers amazing discounts on paddling Pictured Rocks when you buy in December.
THE BEST December Michigan Events 2021
Kerrytown District KindleFest, Photo Courtesy of Kerrytown.org
- Meadow Brook Hall's Holiday Walk, Friday, Nov. 27 – Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2020. 350 Estate Drive, Rochester, Michigan. It’s the most wonderful time of year! Meadow Brook Hall’s annual Holiday Walk brings the magic of the season alive with an unforgettable series of activities and special events. Experience the wonder of more than 50 magnificent trees—including a 10-foot tall Poinsettia tree created by 150 live plants, dazzling trimmings, and lights galore! (FEE)
- Kerstmarkt, Holland, MI, Saturday, November 21 - Saturday, December 12, 2020, 8th Street Market Place in front of the Civic Center. “Kerstmarkt” in the Dutch language means “Christmas market.” It's a fun venue for local artisans and specialty shops to sell their wares while shoppers gather, enjoying traditional food, drink and entertainment.
- Kerrytown District KindleFest, Ann Arbor Farmers Market
315 Detroit St, Ann Arbor, MI. An Outdoor Holiday Market, December 2020 CANCELLED - 4 pm until 10 pm, Come out for Midnight Madness throughout the business districts of Ann Arbor andThe KindleFest Market, or Christkindlmarkt as known in Germany. Features artisans, farmers and retailers selling their holiday wares plus traditional food, mulled wine and beer.
- Mackinaw City kicks off the Christmas season with a parade and tree lighting at 5 pm on Friday December 4, 2020 (first weekend of December) followed by a sleigh rides and holiday activities all weekend. The Christmas Parade starts the Marina parking lot and traveling north on Huron Avenue to Central Avenue, to Nicolet Street and ending at Indian Pathways Park for the lighting of the city Christmas tree.
- Christmas in Mackinaw, Saturday, December 5 from 2-4 pm at the Mackinaw Area Historical Society Heritage Village downtown. Lots of fun-filled family events including sleigh or hay rides (12-2), a Christmas program at Heritage Chapel and crafts at Freedom School. See Santa at the 1869 McGulpin Point Lighthouse (1-3pm). All programs are free!
- Merry Marketplace at Crooked Tree Arts Center, Traverse City, MI Dates vary between December 1, 2020 - December 5, 2020.
- Birmingham Michigan Winter Market, December 4, 2020 - December 6, 2020. Tree Lighting is awesome. Shain Park, S Bates St and W Merrill St, Birmingham. A traditional Winter Market with a Bavarian Theme featuring traditional holiday art, decorations and crafts, traditional German food, live entertainment, ice sculptures, Santa Claus House, live reindeer, horse-drawn carriage rides, and more!
- Santa's Workshop at Castle Farms, 5052 M-66 North, Charlevoix, MI on Dec 5 and 6, 2020,11:00 AM- 2:00 PM Space is limited to 20 children per session so save your child’s spot early. Tickets must be purchased in advance online. Train Wonderland tickets sold separately.
- Holiday Displays at Grand Rapids Public Museum, 272 Pearl Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 Enjoy colorful displays for Christmas, scavenger hunts throughout the building, along with cheerful Christmas decor, three floors of core exhibits! So much to do and see in Grand Rapids this Christmas!
- Winter Dog Sledding Adventures, Otter River Sled Dog Training Center and Wilderness Adventures, 35605 River Road, Tapiola, MI "Come join us on a cool morning or evening as we navigate our 6 seater side x side, powered by sled dogs, along the beautiful trails near the Otter River. See how professional canine athletes keep fit during the off season, as they prepare for great races such as the Copperdog 150 in Calumet, MI, John Beargrease Marathon in Duluth MN, the Taquamanon Falls race in Newberry, MI, the UP200 in Marquette, MI, and eventually, the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod. Learn how a dog is trained from puppy hood to lead dog status, what kind of diets are required, what is required of mushers, and how you can get involved with this great sport. Once the snow stays, we switch to sleds with the option of being a passenger, or learning to drive your own sled. We look forward to hooking up dogs with you!" What an awesome December Michigan event!
HO HO HO, Christmas is Almost Here! Buy Michigan Themed and Local Gifts This Year!
Buy local this year with Michigan Gift Baskets!
We've created a few gift guides to make Holiday shopping super easy! Find gifts everyone will appreciate and actually use!
- Holiday Nights in Greenfield Village, Dearborn, MI is one of the top Christmas experiences in the country! December 4-6, 11-13, 15-23, 26-28, 2020. Book your spots in early November as they sell out fast!
- Manistee's Victorian Sleighbell Parade & Old Christmas Weekend, CANCELLED 2020 December 3-6, 2020. The Victorian city of Manistee kicks off the festivities with its annual Victorian Sleighbell Parade & Old Christmas Weekend. This popular event brings as many as 10,000 visitors to Manistee to experience the wonder of a Christmas gone by. The highlight of the parade is the Belgian draft horses that pulls a 30' Christmas tree down River Street in downtown Manistee.
SANTA Houses in Michigan! Come see Santa!
- Santa House, Midland MI-located on the corner of Main St. and M-20 in
Downtown Midland. Each year, Santa comes to Midland on the Tuesday evening after Thanksgiving. He arrives at the Tridge, makes his way up Ashman St. and helps our community light the Courthouse for the Holidays. Then he makes his way over to the Santa House. Ride the Northern Star train! Enjoy 10-15 minute tours of downtown Midland during
the Santa House season. Departs from the
downtown courthouse. Hours are generally 1:30-4:30 and 6:00-9:00 p.m. everyday December. What an awesome December Michigan event!
- Birmingham Santa House, Shain Park, 151 Martin Street,
Birmingham, MI. Grab the kids and visit Santa in his quaint "home" under the pavilion in Shain Park. The Santa House is accessible to all and barrier free. Throughout the month of December. Check their website for details.
- Santa Visits, Bronner's Christmas Wonderland, 25 Christmas Lane, Frankenmuth, MI. Bring your wish list to Bronner's! Monday-Thursday: 10-11:30 am, 1-4 pm, and 5:30-7pm. Friday: 10 am to 7pm, Saturday: 9:15 am to 7pm, Sunday: Noon to 5:30 pm.
Best Ways to Celebrate Christmas in Michigan
Christmas in Michigan! Find the best holiday events, light displays, sleigh rides and Christmas villages, oh my!
We love celebrating Christmas in Michigan! Find the best holiday events, light displays, sleigh rides and Christmas villages, oh my!
Michigan Christmas Holiday Home Tours and Walks
Visit their websites for more info on meeting locations, ticket sales and more info.
- Frankenmuth Holiday Home Tour, CANCELLED 2020. December 5 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, $20. The Frankenmuth Women’s Club will host its annual Holiday Home Tour. Four Frankenmuth area homes and Frankenmuth United Methodist Church will be decked out in Christmas finery for visitors to enjoy. A light lunch is included at the church with ticket booklet purchase. Door prizes! Don't miss this December Michigan Event!
- Marshall Candlelight Walk, 2020 cancelled. 740 Verona Rd, Marshall, MI
- Cadillac Garden Club Annual Holiday Home Tour, December 5, 2020, 10 AM – 3 PM, 112 S Mitchell St, Cadillac, MI
- Indian Village Holiday Home VIP Tour, 2020 Dates not updated, 7 – 10 PM, Roostertail, 100 Marquette Dr, Detroit, MI
- 40th Annual Zonta Homewalk, CANCELLED 2020 1:00-5:00 pm, Midland, MI. Tickets $20 advanced /$25 the day of the walk at rest stop. Ticket pick-up is at the Rest Stop on the day of the event.Rest Stop-Primrose Midland, 5600 Waldo Avenue
A Bit of Nostalgia for a Wonderful December Michigan Christmas!
- Dow Gardens Christmas Walk, December 2020 CANCELLED Midland, MI. 5:00 PM until 7:30 PM each evening. Meet Santa’s reindeer and listen to carolers sing the songs of the season. Step into the festive conservatory and experience a dramatic display of poinsettias, while enjoying the merry sound of a live string quartet. This is one of our favorite December Michigan events!
- Tours of Christmas Past, December 17, 2020, 5:30 pm – 6:30 p.m. The Pines of Dow Gardens is a must see this holiday season! Visit rooms decked in festive splendor in their 1899 home. Learn how the Dow family celebrated Christmas!
- Antique Snowmobile Bridge Crossing, Mackinaw City, December 12, 2020, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
Holiday Nights at the Henry Ford
- Holiday Nights at the Henry Ford (MI) December 4-6, 11-13, 15-23, 26-28, 2020 6:30 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. Greenfield Village at the Henry Ford, 20900 Oakwood, Dearborn, MI. Mingle with merrymakers amid the smells of roasting chestnuts and warm bonfires: the sounds of carolers, fiddlers and sleigh bells. Every lantern-lit path takes you to a new winter wonder to discover. See Santa and pet live reindeer! Enjoy horse-drawn wagons! Main Street brims with holiday goods, food and warm beverages. Historical home tours open the doors to centuries of favorite family holiday traditions. Stay for the fireworks! What an awesome December Michigan event!
December Michigan Events
- Christmas at Crossroads Holiday Magic 2020, Crossroads Village & Huckleberry Railroad. 6140 Bray Road, Flint, MI. Village, train ride, buffet options. November 27 2020 - December 30, 2020, 4 – 9 pm. Select night, see their website for details. What are the holidays without plenty of lights, plenty of cheer and some good shopping for gifts and stocking stuffers? Christmas at Crossroads Village offers costumed villagers, live entertainment, model trains and craft demonstrations, holiday music and, of course, visits with Santa himself. It’s holiday fun for the whole family. Please call 810.736.7100 ext. 6 Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm for more information and to purchase tickets. It is highly recommended that you purchase your Huckleberry Railroad train tickets early as they often sell out in advance. What an awesome December Michigan event!
- Christmas at Wings, 30th ANNUAL ART & CRAFT SALE" December 5-6, 2020, Sat 9am‑4pm, Sun 10am‑4pm. Wings Event Center, Kalamazoo, MI. Christmas at Wings will feature a display of products like ceramic, jewelry, digital, photo, fiber, metalwork, sculptures, glass, mixed media, wood, graphics, paintings, food items such as Jerky, Sauces, breads, nuts, fudge, stained glass and more. A favorite December Michigan event!
Christmas Flint Trip Idea-SHHH! Surprising Chris with this December Michigan trip!
- See a Cosmic Christmas Light Show at the Longway Planetarium in Flint
- Dinner at Whitey’s Restaurant in Davison
- 40-minute Christmas train ride on the Huckleberry Railroad, a visit to Crossroads Village and Christmas Buffet (see above for more info!)
- Flint Institute of Arts (free on Saturdays)
Cosmic Light Show: Through December. 4 p.m. every afternoon, 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday & Saturday
No shows December 24, 25, 31, and January 1. 45 min show, $7 adults. Longway Planetarium, 1310 E. Kearsley Street, Flint, Michigan)
Whitey's Restaurant: 109 N State Rd, Davison, MI 48423 (11 miles from Longway Planetarium)
Huckleberry Railroad, Village and Buffet: 6140 Bray Road, Flint, MI (6 miles from Longway Planetarium)
Best Michigan Christmas Things to See and Do!
We LOVE Christmas! Here are a few more Michigan Christmas ideas to brighten your holiday spirit!
Best Downtown Christmas Lights
Rochester Michigan Christmas Lights
- We were absolutely blown away by downtown Rochester's stunning lights! What an awesome December Michigan event!
- Crossroads Village, 6140 Bray Road, Flint, MI, Drive through only to see the Christmas lights. December 2, 9, 16, 23-24, 30, 5-9 pm. $5 per vehicle.
- Binder Park Zoo Lights, 7400 Division Drive, Marshall, MI, ZooLights runs four weekends Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 29 – December 22, 2019, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm each night. Cost $5 – $6.
- Wayne County Light Fest-Drive Through
- Fifth Third Christmas Lights Drive-Through, Grand Rapids, MI
- The Big Bright Light Show, Rochester, Mi, November 25-January 5, 2020
We hope you enjoy our exciting December Michigan events and ideas of fun things to do!
Pin This December Michigan Events and Fun Things to Do Page!
Don't miss a moment of December Michigan events and fun! Join our newsletter to have events and fun delivered directly to your inbox!
What Michigan Events Are Coming Up Next?
Disclaimer: Please be sure to visit a particular event's website to verify dates, times, happenings and details. We make every possible effort to be verify these the event details but as we are human, mistakes can occur and event dates/times can change. If you see an error below, PLEASE let us know and we will correct it.
Being bored sucks! Never miss another event! Join our network of Traveling Michigan Explorers! Be a part of this amazing community of travelers!
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Join Us on Instagram, We're Fun!!
Event Centers in Michigan
Still bored? Don't forget to check these Michigan event centers/theaters/auditoriums across Michigan for concerts, events, shows or comedy entertainment!
Here are a few Michigan event centers to inspire you!
- Cobo Hall-Detroit
- Midland Center for the Arts-Midland
- Dow Gardens-Midland
- Kalamazoo State Theatre
- Fire Keepers Casino
- Soaring Eagle Casino-Mt. Pleasant
- Wings Event Center-Kalamazoo
- Miller Auditorium-Kalamazoo
- Civic Auditorium-Kalamazoo
- Chenery Auditorium-Kalamazoo
- Kellogg Arena-Battle Creek
- LMC Mendel Center-Benton Harbor
- Franke Center for the Arts-Marshall
- The Bob-Grand Rapids
- Van Andel-Grand Rapids
- Devos Place-Grand Rapids
- Dow Event Center-Saginaw
Check Out Our Traveling Michigan Videos on Youtube!
Check out our off-road Keweenaw Peninsula adventures on YouTube!
Popular Pages You May Also Like...
We would love to hear your ideas!
Share your Michigan events, stories, photos and ideas! We love to be inspired!
Traveling Michigan Home Page