Ultimate 2022 Guide of December Michigan Calendar of Events, Festivals | Best Christmas Lights, Parades, Reindeer Farms, Home Tours | Christmas Trains and Towns, Christmas Markets, Best Things to Do in Michigan in Winter! Holiday Activities This Weekend
December Michigan Events and Things to Do! Best Michigan Christmas Towns, Trains and Markets! | By Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com | Last updated: November 23, 2022
The ULTIMATE SOURCE of 2022 December Michigan events and things to do for families, couples and friends this summer! Grab our Boredom Zapping Ideas for fun in Michigan and add them to your events calendar!
+Best Southwest Michigan events monthly calendar. See what's happening in Michigan today! Music festivals and activities with kids.
Destinations: Detroit, Traverse City, Frankenmuth, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Petoskey, Charlevoix, Houghton Lake, Midland, South Haven, St. Joseph, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, Upper Peninsula and more!
December Michigan events are full swing! Cosmic light shows, steam trains, Christmas lights and visiting Santa are just a few of December events to look forward to!
Join us on Instagram where I've posted all of our December Michigan adventures! We hope you enjoy our December Michigan fun things to do!
Plan your December Michigan trip or winter vacation around our inspiring festivals and events!
- While we make every effort to verify our listed events, please visit the event website, Facebook page or call them prior to your visit to check dates/times, make reservations, buy tickets and ask questions. Events may cancel due to COVID 19. Our list is for ideas only and we are not responsible for event changes or cancelations or updates.
Want to see Incredible Michigan Christmas Lights?
THE BEST December Michigan Events 2022
Traveling Michigan in December is absolutely stunning as our nights are cool but our days are sunny and still perfect for exploring!
- A Ford House Christmas, at The Ford House (Edsel and Eleanor), November 18 - December 30 5:30pm - 8:30pm. 1100 Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe Shores, MI. Travel back in time and spend the holiday season with the Ford family. Embark on a lighted shuttle ride to The Ford House for a holiday tour of the historic home. Partake in fun holiday crafts and entertainment. A concession stand will be available as well.
- 30th Annual Wonderland of Lights - Thursday through Sunday, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm, November 19 – December 23, 2022 (closed on Thanksgiving). Where: Potter Park Zoo! Thousands of colorful lights create an breathtaking holiday display! Take a stroll around the zoo, enjoy holiday music, and be wowed with sparkling lights for a magical Michigan winter evening. Stop by the Savanna Grill for a bite to eat and grab a goodie!
- Detroit Zoo: Walk along the wild side at Detroit Zoo's Wild Lights! November 19-January 8, 2022. The Zoo is even more magical during the winter with sparkly sights and Christmas entertainment! There is fun and activities for zoo goers of all ages. See millions of LED lights twinkling in the trees, buildings, lighted tunnel, and animal figures throughout the Zoo. Stroll through the Enchanted Trail, an immersive forest of lights and be wowed by the Polar Express 4D Theater!
- The Big Bright Light Show, Rochester, Mi, November 21, 2022 – January 15, 2023. This show is spectacular! Starts at 5:00 p.m. 308 1/2 Main Street, Rochester, Michigan Where is the Rochester light show? The buildings of Main Street are aglow with over 1 million “big, bright” lights.Are the Rochester lights on? Sure are, right after Nov 23rd!
- Metro Health Christmas & Holiday Traditions, November 22, 2022 through January 8, 2023, Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, 1000 East Beltline Ave. NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525. Be wowed with the glow of over 300,000 colorful lights, virtual visits from Santa, rooftop reindeer and 46 international trees and displays.
- Celebration of Trees - Downtown Marshall will have a special glow and sparkle with the “Celebration of Trees” event, taking place November 23 through January 3, 2022. Remember a loved one, recognize a favorite organization, or just spread hope and cheer by sponsoring and decorating a downtown holiday tree.
- HollyDazzle at the Michigan Renaissance Festival - 12600 Dixie Hwy. Holly, MI, Nov. 25, 26 & 27, 2022 • Dec. 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11,
15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 30 & 31, 2022. Hours: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm HollyDazzle is a magical three-quarter mile outdoor trail featuring more than a dozen lighted Christmas scenes including Santa Claus, Sledding Penguins and Candy Land Castle in a magical winter wonderland walk through at the Michigan Renaissance Festival Village! Get your tickets online! Free Parking! Hollydazzle is an outdoor walk-through event. Adult - $21.95 and Child (5-12 years) - $8.95
- Holiday Stroll at Olde World Canterbury Village – Make the Holiday Stroll one of your most memorable experience of the holiday season! Canterbury Village transforms into a winter wonderland as you stroll through the quaint Village glowing with almost a million festive lights. See a light show choreographed to classic holiday songs, professional carolers, and live Christmas performances. See classic characters like Frosty, Buddy The Elf, The Grinch, Olaf, Jack Frost, Anna and Elsa and more! Enjoy cocktails with firepits. Visit with Santa Claus too! November 23, 25-27, 2022 and December 2-4, 9-11, 16-18, 22 & 23, 2022. Open at 5:00 pm. $19.15 for adults (includes processing fees) and $5.77 parking.
- Nite Lites at the Michigan International Speedway - Nov. 24 thru Dec. 31, 2022 Michigan International Speedway, US-12 Entrances only, 12626 US-12, Brooklyn, Michigan. Hours: Sun - Thurs | 5:30 - 9PM, Fri - Sat | 5:30 - 10PM
- Walk of Trees in Plymouth, November 25-January 1, 2022. Enjoy a Christmas walk through the Kellogg Park to see 75 trees, each decorated by a local family, club or business. It’s free! The Walk of Trees is sparkling with lights 24 hours a day from the Saturday after Thanksgiving through Christmas.
- 1001 Winter Wonders - SO COOL!! November 25, 2022 - January 29, 2023, open from 4 pm -8 pm on Fridays and 12 pm -4 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. This new and interactive exhibit features a free indoor, winterized pathway that takes you from icy paths to stunning igloos and even a life-sized gingerbread house. Family adventures await you at the exhibit, like Santa and his secret cabin where you can drop a postcard for him in his magical mailbox.1001 Woodward Building, Detroit, MI
- The Spring Lake Sparkle Festival 2022 is such a fun chance to meet Santa, grab some eats and enjoy a drink at Santa’s Workshop. November 25, 2022 - January 3, 2023. Visit a winter wonderland of holiday lights, sights and sounds! Over 120,000 multi-colored lights will light up the trees along Savidge Street between Division and Buchanan, as well as the buildings along Savidge.
- Country Christmas at Three Cedars Farm, 7897 Six Mile Rd, Northville, MI 48168. Country Christmas begins on Nov 25, 2022. Get in the Holiday spirit at Three Cedars! They offer Christmas trees, wreaths, hot cocoa, cider, donuts and of course Santa Claus! Photos with Mr. & Mrs Claus, shopping in their Christmas Store, kids outdoor play land, petting farm and train rides.
Experience Frankenmuth, an incredible Michigan Christmas Town!
- Frankenmuth ChristKindlMarkt 2022, November 25-27, 2022; December 2-4, 2022; and December 9-11, 2022. Hours will be Friday: 11 am - 8pm., Saturday: 11am - 8pm and Sunday: 11am - 4pm at the Frankenmuth Farmers Market, 534 N Main St, Frankenmuth. Frankenmuth is fondly known by some as "Christmas Town, USA" and now you can see why. Enjoy a traditional German holiday market set in a quaint winter wonderland at the North end of Frankenmuth. Find the perfect gift for everyone on your list.
- Jackson Christmas Light Show, Nite Lites - Drive Through Experience, November 24, 2022-December 31, 2022 at Michigan International Speedway. Open everyday - Including holidays. Drive through its twinkling Christmas light sculptures then stretch your legs in Winter Wonderland, where all ages can enjoy a mug of hot cocoa, a seasonal snack, and of course, Santa himself — even his reindeer visit on certain weekends. Sun - Thurs: 5:30 - 9 PM and Fri - Sat: 5:30 - 10PM.
- Visit Reindeer Ranch! - 2921 North 6th Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49009. Take guided tours of the Reindeer Ranch farm with their trained tour guides. Learn all about reindeer, visit with a real live reindeer and see the rest of the herd! Tours last 30-45 minutes. Santa & Reindeer Tours are a blast too this Christmas season! Visit Michigan Reindeer Farms this season!
- Visit Meadow Brook Hall for Winter Wonder Lights! The Holidays at Meadow Brook Hall are simply dazzling, Chris and I LOVE IT! November 25 – December 30, 2022. Winter Wonder Lights is a self-guided outdoor experience with brightly lit light displays across the grounds of Meadow Brook Hall, located in Rochester on the campus of Oakland University.
Come enjoy a lovely evening of lights and music as you explore this National Historic Landmark at its most festive. There will be fun concessions such as glow-in-the-dark cotton candy and hot meals in their outdoor café. Seasonal and specialty drinks, bonfires and more! Learn the FUN Famous History of Matilda Dodge and Meadow Brook Hall!
- Meadow Brook Hall's Holiday Walk, November 25 – Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2022. 350 Estate Drive, Rochester, Michigan. It’s the most wonderful time of year! Holiday Walk is a self-guided indoor tour featuring incomparable holiday sights and decorations inside Meadow Brook Hall, the historic mansion and National Historic Landmark located in Rochester on the campus of Oakland University.
See more than 50 magnificent trees, flickering fireplaces, and lights galore! Holiday Walk invites you to explore the 110 room estate from the Grand Ballroom to Candy Cane Cottage and visit Santa and his reindeer on Santa Saturdays! Perfect for a special date night or family outing.
- Magic of Lights - Drive Through Christmas Lights Experience! Pine Knob Music Theatre in Clarkston, MI Nov. 18th - Dec. 31st, 2022 Sun-Thurs 5:30pm-10pm | Fri-Sat 5:30pm-11pm. $15 per carload.
- Annual Bear Lake Sparkle in the Park promises to be a must see! Over 80,000 lights! Open Nov. 27 thru Dec. 31, 5 to 10 pm nightly. Come see thousands upon thousands of Christmas lights set up in nearly 50 holiday displays at Hopkins Park, Bear Lake from Thanksgiving weekend through New Year's Eve.The beautifully lit displays include angels, Christmas trees, Santa and his reindeer, a salute to troops, snowmen, various animals and several Christmas scenes, all arranged outdoors in Bear Lake's lakeside campground park, just off US 31.
- See America's Tallest Singing Christmas Tree in Muskegon - Did you know the tallest singing Christmas Tree has been an annual event since 1985? The Performance is scheduled to start at the Frauenthal Center in Muskegon on December 1st, and go for four performances through December 4th.
- Flushing's Annual Candlewalk and Live Nativity by Mayfair Bible Church! Enjoy seeing Bible characters and live camels! December 1 and 2, 2022, 6:00pm -9:00pm, Downtown Flushing, Michigan
- Manistee's Victorian Sleighbell Parade & Old Christmas Weekend. December 1-4, 2022. An entire weekend of excitement including the Victorian Sleighbell Parade with horse-drawn entries, bagpipers, reindeer and carolers elegantly dressed in Victorian attire. See the draft horses pulling a 30-foot Christmas tree down River Street followed by luminaries, caroling and the lighting of the tree! Manistee’s Old Christmas Weekend is filled with charming, Victorian-inspired events including the Festival of Trees, craft bazaar, 5K race and more!
- Candlewalk, December 1-2, 2022, 6pm - 9pm, 108 E Main St Flushing, MI. The 2022 Flushing Candlewalk kicks off this year on December 1st, with a Parade of Lights that brings Santa into town to receive the key to the city, and then the official Christmas Tree is lit. After Santa arrives, he will sit visiting with kids of all ages. Also, be sure to see the Live Nativity scene! More Michigan Live Nativity Scenes
- Alden B. Dow Home & Studio Holiday Tours, Midland Michigan, December 2022 TBD. Alden and Vada Dow made Christmas a joyous and playful, family celebration. This Christmas, tour the home to see the beauty and fun of their zooming scale trains, mechanical toys, shimmering Christmas tree decorations, joyous holiday music and lovely comforts they created for everyone to enjoy. Visit their website for tickets.
- Holiday Pops - The Grand Rapids Symphony Pops Presents University of Michigan Health-West Holiday Pops at DeVos Performance Hall on December 1 - December 4, 2022 as part of the 2022-2023 season. DeVos Performance Hall, 303 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI. Awesome Grand Rapids December Michigan Events 2022. What is there to do in Grand Rapids in December? Well, this!
- Celebrate Merry Mile at the Calhoun County Fairgrounds - See sparkling Christmas lights from the warmth of your vehicle. Select days throughout December, 5:30pm - 9:30pm. 10/car load. Address:
720 Fair Street, Marshall, MI
- 12 Days of Christmas Sale, Dec 1 – 12, 2022, Frankenmuth River Place Shops, 925 S Main St, Frankenmuth, MI. Get all of your Christmas shopping done while wandering along the beautifully decorated sidewalks in Frankenmuth River Place Shops! December 1st through December 12th. Fun Frankenmuth December events.
- 17th Annual Detroit Urban Craft Fair - December 2-4, 2022, Masonic Temple, Detroit, MI. Hours: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, December 2nd, 2022; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, December 3rd, 2022; and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, December 4th. Event features over 100 handmade crafters and indie artists where you can find one-of-a-kind items and meet the people who made them. Masonic Temple, 500 Temple Street, Detroit, MI 48201. Great December Michigan holiday event!
- Frosty Parade & Fireworks in Downtown Linden. 7:00 P.M. Lighted Frosty Parade and enjoy Frosty Fireworks over the Millpond at 8:30 P.M. until 9:30 P.M. Meet Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus at the gazebo starting at 5:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. Food trucks, music and fun!
- Christmas In Ida Festival and Parade of Lights - December 2-3, 2022, The Granddaddy of light parades the Christmas in Ida Parade of Lights features two hours of illuminated and animated parade entries from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Canada. Storytime with Ms. Claus, Santa's Zoo, ice sculpting, holiday art, vendors, parade, concert, fireworks and more! Address: 2953 Lewis Avenue, Ida, MI 48140
This Christmas, visit a Live Nativity Scene at churches and events across the state! There's even a couple drive thru nativity scenes!
Holiday Nights Greenfield Village
- Holiday Nights in Greenfield Village, Dearborn, MI is one of the top Christmas experiences in the country! December 2-4, 9-11, 15-23, 26-28, 2022 Time: 6:30-10:00 p.m Member presale tickets available Wednesday, October 26, 2022. Tickets will go on sale to the public Wednesday, November 2, 2022.
Mingle with merrymakers amid the smell of roasting chestnuts and warm bonfires. Enjoy carolers, fiddlers and sleigh bells. See Santa, pet live reindeer, embark on horse-drawn wagons! Main Street is packed with cheer offering holiday goods, food and warm beverages. Historical home tours. What an awesome December Michigan event!
HO HO HO! It's time to visit the BEST Michigan Christmas Towns and Villages!
Ride trains or horse drawn carriages, see Santa, stroll nostalgic Christmas towns and get into the Christmas spirit!!
Visit the Midland Santa House and Ride the Northern Star Railroad!
- Festival of Wreaths, The Muskegon Museum of Art, The annual Festival of Wreaths is back this year to inspire the holiday spirit and encourage people to explore Downtown Muskegon during the holiday season from November 22 – December 11, 2022. A Walking Guide with the location of all the wreaths is available on their website.
- Holiday Open House - Petoskey - Friday, December 2, 2022 at 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM. Join downtown merchants for hospitality and shopping.
- Light up the Bluff in St. Joseph - The Community Tree Lighting ceremony always takes place on the first Friday of December. The St. Joseph High School Choir sings Christmas carols near the tree located at the corner of Broad and Lake Boulevard, St Joseph Michigan at 6 p.m. with the ceremony taking place at 6:30 p.m. See over 1 million lights sparkle along Lake Bluff Park as it is transformed into a winter wonderland through Valentine’s Day.
- Merry Marketplace at Crooked Tree Arts Center, Traverse City, MI. Each week will feature different artists, so come on out! November 18 & 19, 2022 and December 2 & 3, 2022.
- Visit Michigan Reindeer Farms! What a cool way to get into the Christmas spirit! Perfect December Michigan event for the whole family!
- Christmas Craft Show - NMU Superior Dome - Marquette. Friday, December 2, 2022 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday, December 3, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday, December 4, 2022 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- The Downtown Rochester Kris Kringle Market: On West Fourth St. between Main & Walnut. Friday, December 2, 2022 from 4 – 10 p.m. and Saturday, December 3, 2022 from Noon – 10 p.m. This lovely market was inspired by the 700-year old tradition of the open-air Christmas markets throughout Europe. Come on out to Rochester for one-of-a-kind shopping, specialty foods, fresh greens & wreaths and handcrafted gifts for the holiday. Incredible Michigan Christmas markets!
- Magic at the Mill, December 2 -17, 2022 Fridays + Saturdays 5-7 pm & 7-9 pm at Windmill Island Gardens in Holland, MI. During the first three weekends in December, Holland's DeZwaan windmill is set aglow for Magic at the Mill. Imagine a hundreds-year-old windmill glittering with lights and surrounded by thousands of LED tulips. Then add in Sinterklaas and a musically synced light show, and you have a seasonal spectacle worthy of Holland, Michigan! Tickets MUST be purchased in advance online.
- Night with Santa at Leaman's Green Applebarn, December 2, 3, 9, 10, 2022, 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm. Walk through their lighted orchard, hop on the ya wagon to enjoy a lighted ride through the farm fields and orchard. Then, warm up next to the fire while roasting marshmallows. Oh, and be sure to visit Santa Claus! Tickets must be purchased on their website before visiting! $8 and a canned good (donated to Hidden Harvest) per person.
- Christmas at Crossroads Holiday Magic 2022, Crossroads Village & Huckleberry Railroad is incredible! 6140 Bray Road, Flint, MI. Village, train ride, Christmas buffet options. November 25-27, 2022, December 2-4, 9-11, 16-18, 21-23, and 28-30, 2022. Hours: 4:00 pm-9:00 pm. Open for Drive Through Only nights: December 5, 12, 19, 24 and 26, 2022. Hours for Drive Through Only nights: 5:00 pm-9:00 pm. $10 per vehicle.
Christmas at Crossroads Village is lovely with costumed villagers, live entertainment, model trains and craft demonstrations, holiday music and, of course, visits with Santa himself. It’s holiday fun for the whole family. Buy your tickets early. What an awesome December Michigan event!
- Frankenmuth Holiday Home Tour, December 3, 2022. Incredible Michigan Christmas Holiday Home Tours! A Must-Do in 2023!
- Santa's Reindeer Farm - (Shown Above) Grandpa Tiny's Farm in Frankenmuth, 7775 Weiss St, Frankenmuth, MI. November 19, 20, 26, 27, 2022 and December 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 2022, 12-4:00 pm. Experience Santa's Farm during the hustle and bustle of getting ready for the Christmas season! The farm is on full on holiday mode for this stroll through event where you will get to see how Santa has transformed the farm into his headquarters preparing for the big day! Buy your tickets early!
- Annual “Christmas on the Farm and at Dewey School” Saturday, December 3rd, from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. and Sunday, December 4th, from 10 to 5 P.M. Address: 13494 Waterloo Munith Rd, Grass Lake, MI. This re-creation of the holiday's traditions will include tours of the ten-room farmhouse (where costumed guides recount the activities that might have taken place in each room at Christmas time), the authentic log house, blacksmith, singers and musicians perform traditional holiday melodies, and eight outbuildings. Hand-decorated greens, home-made baked goods, and gift items will be available for purchase. Live music will be among the offerings for this homespun weekend. Full concessions.
- Ann Arbor Holiday Art Fair, Washtenaw County Fairgrounds, Ann Arbor. Featuring over 100 artists in four buildings as well as food, authors, crafts, and more. 5055 Ann Arbor-Saline Road, Ann Arbor
December 3-4, 2022; Saturday 9-4, Sunday 10-4
- Dewitt's Hometown Christmas, December 3, 2022, Hometown Christmas, Live Window Walk and Parade: 5-7pm.
- Whootville Christmas Parade, 🎅 Downtown Saugatuck, December 3, 2022. The Annual Whootville Christmas Parade starts at 1pm! Line up begins at 12:30 pm at Wicks Park on Water Street (Mermaid Restaurant Parking Lot). Everyone is encouraged to wear festive Whootville and/or Christmas attire and join in the parade! Parade route starts on Water Street at Wicks Park and travels South, turning left onto Butler Street, proceeding north to the Post Office, then left onto Mary Street, left onto Water Street, ending at Wicks Park. Fun December Michigan events in Saugatuck.
- Keepsake Arts and Crafts Shows:
- December 3, 4, 2022 - Clarkston High School
- December 10, 2022 - Horizons Conference Center
- Toys for Tots at Wonderland of Lights - December 3, 2022, 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Potter Park Zoo's annual toy drive. Each person who brings in a new, unwrapped toy Dec. 3, 2022 will be admitted to Wonderland of Lights for FREE. Dazzling holiday display at the Annual Wonderland of Lights!
- Winter Wonderland at Cannonsburg Ski Area - Enjoy walking in a Winter WonderlandWalk on a lighted path in the woods to the sounds of your favorite Christmas music. The Glowing Forest (Winter edition) is fun for all ages! The walk is roughly ½ mile long through the woods with Christmas displays and winter themes. Dates and Hours:The Winter Glowing Forest will run every Friday and Saturday beginning December 3, 2022. Friday Hours: 6 pm - 8 pm. Saturday Hours: 5 pm-8 pm at 6800 Cannonsburg Rd, Belmont MI 49306.
- Kerstmarkt- December 3, December 4, December 9, December 10, 2022. 8th Street Marketplace and Pine Avenue, Holland - Ottawa, MI. Weekends. Experience a delightful outdoor European-style market with holiday items, delicious food and artisan demonstrations in Holland, Michigan. “Kerstmarkt” in the Dutch language means “Christmas market.” Kerstmarkt is located at the 8th Street Market Place in front of the Civic Center. Dogsled Demos Saturday, December 4, 2022 at 12 pm & 2:30 pm also on Saturday, December 9, 2022, 12 pm & 2:30 pm. 8th Street Marketplace and Pine Avenue, Holland - Ottawa, MI. Hint: Combine this with the Kerstmarkt on December 9th!
- Holly Jolly Days in Downtown Midland. Make your shopping experience extra special during Holly Jolly Days in Downtown Midland. December 2, 2022, 10:00am - 11:00pm; December 3, 2022, 10:00am - 6:00pm and December 4, 2022, 10:00am - 4:00pm. Free horse-drawn carriage rides will be available Friday, December 2 from 5-9 p.m. and Saturday & Sunday, December 3-4, 2022 from 12-4 p.m. Pick-up will be located in front of the H Hotel. Complimentary hot chocolate stations – Heather ‘n Holly & Whichcraft, Taproom. Complimentary candy cane station – Coyer Candle Co., Craft Hemp Company, Health Hut, and Imagine That! Complimentary s’more and cookie decorating station – Joyful Tantrum & Serendipity Road. Complimentary DIY gift wrapping station – Gift of Hope Boutique & Ways to Wellness
- Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - 201 E. Division St, Sparta, MI Dates TBD
- Midland Nativity Exhibit (see photos and video above)- December 2, 3, 4, 2022. 11:00 am. -9 p.m. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 1700 W. Sugnet, Midland. See a self guided tour of over 1,000 Nativity scenes from around the world! Friday, Saturday & Sunday, 11:00 am-9:00 pm. Free admission. Christmas Concert, December 3, 2022 at 7:00 pm: An evening of Christmas music by the talented Erin & Collin Whitfield. (Admission to both is free.)
- North Pole Polar Express Train Ride - IT SELLS OUT VERY QUICKLY (before end of October)- Saturdays and Sundays, November to December. Departing from Owosso, MI. Embark on a nostalgic journey back in time to the Christmas of yesteryear when you climb aboard the North Pole Express, pulled by the world-famous Pere Marquette 1225 steam train! Depart from the Steam Railroading Institute for a four-hour, round trip excursion to the Village of Ashley’s Country Christmas. One of my favorite events in November and December!
HO HO HO, Christmas is Almost Here! Consider Buying Michigan Themed and Local Gifts This Year
Buy local this year with Michigan Gift Baskets!
We've created a few gift guides to make Holiday shopping super easy! Find gifts everyone will appreciate and actually use!
- Downtown Marquette Farmers Market, Holiday Market is Saturdays, December 3 - 17, 2022 from 10-2 PM inside the Marquette Commons.
- Escanaba Winter Farmers Market, Check out the Winter Farmer’s Market at the Civic Center on Saturdays in Escanaba in 2022. Baked goods and meat products, including fish, eggs, and other miscellaneous goods. Saturday: 10AM-1PM located at 225 21st St N, Escanaba, MI 49829
- Kerrytown District KindleFest, Ann Arbor Farmers Market, 315 Detroit St, Ann Arbor, MI. An Outdoor Holiday Market, December 2, 2022. Kerrytown District KindleFest is an Outdoor Holiday Market. This festival normally takes place on the first Friday of December in the Ann Arbor Farmers Market and surrounding area. In Ann Arbor, Kerrytown District retail businesses and restaurants stay open late on this evening as they participate in the festivities. Family-friendly, and keeping in the spirit of an outdoor holiday market, you would find dozens of artisans and crafters, as well as handmade sweets, pretzels, bratwursts, roasted nuts, Glühwein (a mulled wine) and beer. A Kid Zone featured crafts and entertainment. Fire pits to keep warm, strolling musicians, Santa, twinkling lights and more!
- Santacon Bar Crawl 2022 - Downtown Royal Oak, Dec 3, 2022, 2:00 - 7 p.m. Includes: Keepsake Photo Booth & Pictures with Santa, Contests and Free Drawings to Win Prizes, Event Photographer Capturing Memories, Holiday & Santa Themed Swag🎅 and Kris Kringle Karaoke
- 12 Bars of Christmas Crawl - 🎅 Ann Arbor, 12 Bars of Christmas Crawl, December 3, 2022 from 12 pm - 8 pm! What's included: 16oz color changing Santa stadium cup for all your drinks, Santa Hat for the first 250 at registration, wristband for entry and drink/food specials. Everyone can dress in outrageous costumes! Registration will be from 12 pm-3 pm at Garage Bar, 618 Church Street, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Zonta Homewalk, Midland Michigan. December 3-4, 2022. The Zonta Homewalk features five spectacular homes exquisitely decorated for the holidays open for tours December 3 & 4, 1-5 pm. Midland Michigan Christmas home tours 2022. See their website for updated info! Incredible Michigan Christmas Holiday Home Tours!
This upcoming Holiday season, plan to shop local at these 10 Michigan Christmas Markets! Outdoor & Indoor festivities!
- Christmas in the Village - Sat, December 3, 2022. 606 Lake Street, Roscommon, MI (Near Houghton Lake). Fun Houghton Lake events for your calendar.
- Ann Arbor Holiday Art Fair- Sat, December 3 – Sun, December 4, 2022, Washtenaw County Fairgrounds, 5045-5093 Ann Arbor-Saline Rd, Saline, MI 48176. 75 artists, 25 authors, make and take art, specialty food, make and take art. Awesome Ann Arbor December Events 2022 for your calendar. Sat 9 am‑4 pm, Sun 10 am‑4 pm
- Merchants Holiday Open House 2022 in Harbor Springs - December 3, 2022. Enjoy a fun-filled evening of shopping, and holiday treats, thanks to the downtown merchants. Main and State Streets will be closed to allow the community to stroll between stores in a relaxing evening of tradition. Special music by the Petoskey High School Steel Drum Band. Super fun Petoskey and Harbor Springs December events 2022 event.
- Winter Songs & Carols, Sat, December 3, 2022, 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm, Grace Episcopal Church, 341 Washington St, Traverse City, MI. Join in for a beautiful evening of inspiration, togetherness, and music! Lovely Traverse City December Michigan Events 2022.
- Grand Rapids Toy Show, Sat, December 3, 2022, 9 AM – 3 PM,
5625 Burlingame Ave SW, Wyoming, MI. Awesome Grand Rapids December Michigan Events 2022.
- Christmas at Wings, 32nd Annual Art and Craft Show Dec 3 - Dec 4, 2022. Wings Event Center, Kalamazoo, MI. "Christmas at Wings" is the largest Holiday craft show held in Southwest Michigan. Over 340 craft exhibitors. Free parking. Free admission. Strollers are NOT permitted. Hours: Saturday 9am-4pm and Sunday 10am-4pm
Christmas at Wings will feature a display of products like ceramic, jewelry, digital, photo, fiber, metalwork, sculptures, glass, mixed media, wood, graphics, paintings, food items such as Jerky, Sauces, breads, nuts, fudge, stained glass and more. A favorite December Michigan event!
- 6th Annual 12 Bars of Christmas Crawl-Grand Rapids. Sat, December 3, 2022, 12 – 8 PM, The B.O.B. 20 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI. Put on your best holiday onesies, Santa suits, ugly sweaters, and elf costumes! Fun Grand Rapids December Michigan Events 2022.
- Winter Wonderland, City of Houghton, 58 Huron Street. Meet Santa, drink hot cocoa, and celebrate Christmas along Houghton’s festively decorated waterfront pier December 3, 2022 and December 17, 2022 from 4-7 pm.
Enjoy family-friendly activities including:
• Rustic horse-drawn carriage rides
• Visits with Santa Clause
• Photographs with winter-themed cartoon characters
• Holiday music
• Shopping and dining specials
• Free hot cocoa
- Christmas in the Village - Roscommon, December 3, 2022.Christmas tree lighting, craft show, electric light parade, see Santa! Enjoy over 800 luminaries! Wood carving, Reindeer run, petting zoo, see live Reindeer! Fun December Michigan Event!
- Breakfast with Santa at the Grand Rapids Public Museum, December 3, 2022, 272 Pearl Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504. So much to do and see in Grand Rapids this Christmas with kids!
- Winter Dog Sledding Adventures, Otter River Sled Dog Training Center and Wilderness Adventures, 35605 River Road, Tapiola, MI located near Houghton in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. 3 mile ride-Enjoy a 1.5 hour event as you first learn how to hook up sled dogs, then enjoy a beautiful ride through the woods. Be a passenger or drive your own sled. Another option is 10 miles-About 3.5 hours or a Half Day Adventure, 5-6 hours, includes trail-side lunch and tales from the trails around the campfire. Awesome December Michigan event or activity! Visit their Facebook Page to Book or Learn More!
Learn more about Michigan dogsledding!
- A Southern Exposure Christmas Walk-Through Lights in Battle Creek on December 3, 2022, Time: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Walk through magical lighted gardens and decorated buildings sure to not only get you into the holiday spirit but also bring out a sense of wonder and nostalgia. Southern Exposure, 11269 Gorsline Rd, Battle Creek, MI.
- Holiday Spectacular (Cool Yule) Lighted Parade, South Lyon, Saturday, December 3, 2022 On the first Saturday in December, groups across South Lyon come together to offer free/low-cost family friendly activities across the community AND to support local charities. From the "Christmas in the Country" Craft Show at South Lyon High School to the Holiday Spectacular Lighted Parade and tree lighting ceremony, this event is sure to offer something for everyone! Don't miss it!
- Holiday Lighted Parade, Lake Orion, Saturday, December 3, 2022
- Annual Old Fashioned Christmas & Tree Lighting at the Museum at 37236 Huron River Dr, New Boston, MI. December 4, 2022 at 4 PM – 8 PM. Free! Take a step back in time at the Samuel Adams House/Museum's old fashioned Christmas. Learn about Christmas' past through their themed exhibits. Popcorn, sweets and hot cocoa will be served, the children's tree will be filled with ornaments and horse drawn carriage rides will be offered 5:00-7:00 pm. Live music, holiday vendors, a children's craft, live reindeer and more! Children will be able to take home a ornament from the children's tree.
- 2022 Great Lakes Expo, Premier event for fruit and vegetable growers. December 6, 2022, 8 am - 5:30 pm. December 7, 2022, 8 am - 5:30 pm. December 8, 2022, 8 am - 1 pm. Amway Grand Plaza, 187 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI. Put this informative Grand Rapids December Michigan event on your 2022 calendar.
- Holiday Lights Parade, Berkley, The Drive-By Santa Parade has been broken up into two days (Thursday, December 1 AND Friday, December 2, 2022). The Holiday Lights Parade will be on Saturday, December 3, 2022. Check their website events and details.
- Dow Gardens Christmas Walk, December 8–10 & 15–17
5–7:30 p.m. Stroll the gently-lit pathway, meet Santa’s reindeer, and enjoy warm beverages available for purchase. No admission is charged for these free old-fashioned evenings of candlelight and music.
- Winter Snow Fun Holiday Parade & Tree Lighting in Marquette, Thursday, December 8, 2022, Third Street/Marquette Commons. Parade starts at 6:00 p.m.; Tree Lighting to follow.
- German Holiday Market - December 8, 2022-December 9, 2022 at 11:00 am - 8:00 pm and December 10-11, 2022 9 am - 5 pm, at Up North Arts Center 601 Chesnut St., Cadillac, MI
- Holiday Show and Sale at Yourist Studio Gallery, December 9-11, 2022. The Jackson Road pottery studio and gallery will showcase hand-crafted ceramics ranging from decorative pieces to functional bowls and vases made by resident studio artists. See the work of 29 ceramics artists!
- The Enchanted Trail at The Highlands in Harbor Springs, MI - Snowshoe or Walk December 9, 2022 - February 26, 2023. Begins at 5:30 PM with time slots until 8:30 PM. This unique winter experience is a magical two-mile roundtrip walk along a beautifully lit winter trail through the woods, where you’ll experience the soft warm glow of lights leading you to a rustic yurt where you can cozy up around a bonfire with s’mores and warm drinks!
- The Winter Art Tour (WAT), December 9-11, 2022 will take you on a tour of eleven art shows across Ann Arbor featuring top caliber local artists. Visit artists’ home studios, community art centers and small gallery collectives on this second weekend of December. Check where and when to see all the art on Winter Art Tour!
- Northern Michigan University Theatre & Dance presents: See a Holiday Double Feature: A Charlie Brown Christmas & The Nutcracker from December 9-10 and 14-17, 2022 at the Forest Roberts Theatre, 1401 Presque Isle Ave, Marquette, MI 49855.
- Marshall Candlelight Walk, December 10-11, 2022. Details and tickets on their website.
- 6th Annual Parade of Lights in Auburn, MI - December 10, 2022, 6 pm – 9 pm, W Midland Rd, Auburn, MI. The parade will begin at 6pm. Beginning at the exit of Western High School ending at Auburn United Methodist Church! Hot chocolate, popcorn, Santa, DJ, and a short movie will be playing for the communities enjoyment!!
- Antique Snowmobile Bridge Crossing, Mackinaw City, Saturday, December 10, 2022 , 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Antique and vintage snowmobiles will be driving over the Mackinac Bridge. Snowmobiles, which must be a minimum of 25 years old.
- West Michigan Beer Tours - Beer lovers holiday shopping and walking brewery tour of downtown Kalamazoo. December 2022 TBD.Buy your tickets early. Add to your Kalamazoo December events 2021 calendar.
- Santa's Workshop at Castle Farms, 5052 M-66 North, Charlevoix, MI December 11 and 12, 2022.Build and craft with Santa in his Workshop at Castle Farms! Santa’s Workshop sessions will be held at pre-scheduled times throughout the day. Crafts, hot cocoa and a treat. Hear a snowy story and receive a special gift from Santa himself. Professional photos with Santa in his Workshop are also included and will be available for download after the event!
- Trail of Lights -Davison, December 2022 TBD. Take a Horse Drawn Wagon Ride through the magical Trail of Lights, enjoy holiday music, hot chocolate, crafts and take your own picture with Santa.
- Dexter Daze Light Parade, Parade is on December 11, 2022 at 6 pm!
- Zoo Nights, with Lights! (21+)
December 14, 2022, at 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
at Potter Park Zoo. Bundle up and come out to our final Zoo Nights event of the year! This casual, happy hour-style event will feature holiday music and decór, and a variety of tastes from local restaurants and beverage companies. Take the opportunity to see the zoo after-hours, visit with the animals, and enjoy tasty treats.
My friends, if there was ever a time to sneakily hold hands with your loved one, ice skating is it! So lace up those skates and find a Michigan Ice Skating Rink near you! Here are Ice Skating Rinks in Detroit.
- Storytime Adventures, Tuesdays & Fridays at 1:00 PM, & 3:30 PM. Stories, Songs, Tall Tales and more! You create the story too! 13240 S W Bay Shore Dr, Traverse City, MI. Fun Traverse City December Michigan Events 2022.
- Winterdaze at Grace A. Dow Memorial Library, Friday, December 9, 2022 from 5:30-7:30pm! Bundle up as you visit the Town's End Clydesdales, the DPS snow trucks, and have some fun with our outdoor games. Warm up inside to hot cocoa, yummy treats, Santa Clause, movies in the auditorium, crafts for the whole family, holiday trivia and music.1710 W. Saint Andrews, Midland, MI
- Grand Rapids Ballet: The Nutcracker,December 9-11 & 16-18, 2022 at DeVos Performance Hall in Grand Rapids. Get into the holiday spirit as Grand Rapids Ballet dancers present The Nutcracker! Join the elegant Sugar Plum Fairy and her gallant Cavalier as they guide Clara through the Land of the Sweets. Along the way, meet menacing mice and brave soldiers in an epic Battle Scene, and join festive celebrations as Clara is mesmerized by a fantastic waltz with live accompaniment from the Grand Rapids Symphony to Tchaikovsky’s magical score. Fantastic Christmas event for the whole family!
- Light up the Soo will run from December 15th until the 31st from 5-9pm (closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). See the city's Christmas lights from 210 feet in the air! The Tower of History opens for this special two-week event allowing visitors to travel to the top of the tower in an express elevator and view the city’s holiday lights. See the Twin Saults from the comfort of the enclosed observation deck, or brave the elements and take the stairs up to the open-air platform.
- Home for the Holidays, LET IT SWING! Saturday, December 17, 2022 | 7:30pm and Sunday, December 18, 2022 | 3:00pm
Lars Hockstad Auditiorium, Traverse Symphony Orchestra | 300 E. Front Street, Suite 230, Traverse City, MI 49684. Come out to enjoy the Traverse Symphony Jazz Orchestra as they play their debut Holiday Concert. This year it’s all about having a fun and swingin‘ holiday that will make nostalgia fans think of the TV specials from Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Andy Williams, and Manhattan Transfer, as well as some contemporary jazz takes on holiday favorites. Lovely Traverse City December Michigan Events 2022.
- Blake's Family Christmas - 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada MI. Enjoy a wagon ride out to their 100+ acre tree farm to find the perfect Christmas tree while sipping hot cider! Don't forget to decorate your home with fresh greenery and homemade decor from Blake's. November 19 - December 23, 2022
- Boyne City Farmer's Market, Every Saturday 9 am - 12:00 pm mid-October through mid-May inside Veterans Park Pavilion. Indoor market.
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra, The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve, Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 3:00 PM. Little Caesars Arena, 2645 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI, The TSO is such a highly-anticipated Michigan winter concert!
- New Year’s Fest, Fri, Dec 31, 2022 at 210 Farmers Alley, Kalamazoo, MI. Features 24 performing artists in 11 buildings surrounding Bronson Park. Musical entertainment includes classical music, rhythm and blues, jazz, bluegrass, and Christian contemporary. Performing artists include magicians, clowns, jugglers, storytellers, and tricks. Perfect for families and young adults with food featured at many of the sites. Admission is $5 for everyone over 4 years of age. From 5:30 to midnight. Awesome Kalamazoo December Events 2022. Check out more Michigan New Years Eve Events!
This page is intended to be used as a guide only. Traveling Michigan is not responsible for changes to event descriptions, event times or details being altered without notice or cancellations.
Plan Your Michigan Ski Trips!
Best Michigan Ski Hills and Lodges!
Embark on a Michigan Christmas Train Adventure!
This Christmas, ride an incredible Michigan Christmas Train!
All Aboard! This November and December, celebrate the joy of Christmas by experiencing a nostalgic Michigan train ride!
See where you can embark on the best Michigan train rides!
Try Michigan Dog Sledding! What a Great Christmas Gift!
This Winter, try Michigan Dog Sledding!
Michigan Dog Sledding is a fun experience for family and a very romantic date for couples! Michigan Dog Sledding and Races: Where to Experience in Upper and Lower Peninsula! (Top Winter Things To Do!)
SANTA Houses in Michigan! Come See Santa!
The Midland Santa House and Northern Star Railroad are Fabulous Christmas Activities in Midland Michigan!
Midland Santa House, Midland MI-located on the corner of Main St. and M-20 in
Downtown Midland. The Santa House will be open daily from Nov. 27 to Dec. 23. See Santa free of charge!
Santa arrives at the Tridge, makes his way up Ashman St. and helps the community light the Courthouse for the Holidays. See him at the Santa House!
Ride the Northern Star train which tours downtown Midland during
the Santa House season. The train departs from the
downtown courthouse. Check the link above for the hours. What an awesome December Michigan event!
Birmingham Santa House, Shain Park, 151 Martin Street, Birmingham, MI. Grab the kids and visit Santa in his quaint "home" under the pavilion in Shain Park.
The Santa House is accessible to all and barrier free. Throughout the month of December. Check their website for details.
Santa Visits, Bronner's Christmas Wonderland, 25 Christmas Lane, Frankenmuth, MI. Bring your wish list to Bronner's! Check their website for updated hours and dates!
Visit The Best Michigan Christmas Towns!
Do you love visiting the Michigan Christmas towns to get into the holiday spirit? There won't be any Scrooges left after visiting these charming Hallmark towns!
Take Your Family or Your Loved One On a Winter Sleigh Ride in Michigan!
What a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors! Horse drawn sleigh rides in Michigan are so scenic and exciting for everyone!
Best Ways to Celebrate Christmas in Michigan
We love celebrating Christmas in Michigan! Find the best holiday events, light displays, sleigh rides and Christmas villages!
Best Michigan Christmas Tree Farms
This year, why not get a fresh cut tree? It's time to make some awesome family memories! Grab our interactive map to find the best Michigan Christmas Tree Farms near you! We even have a tree shipping option!
Christmas Flint Trip Idea-SHHH! Surprising Chris with this December Michigan trip!
- See a Skies Over Michigan Show at the Longway Planetarium in Flint
- Dinner at Whitey’s Restaurant in Davison
- 40-minute Christmas train ride on the Huckleberry Railroad, a visit to Crossroads Village (see above for more info!)
- Flint Institute of Arts (free on Saturdays)
Skies Over Michigan Show: Showtimes November 29 - December 31, 2022.
Longway Planetarium’s astronomy experts take you on a tour of the night sky over Michigan in this live planetarium lecture. Learn about the rotation of the Earth, discover how to find the North Star, and more info on constellations and planets in your backyard tonight.
Longway Planetarium, 1310 E. Kearsley Street, Flint, Michigan
Whitey's Restaurant: 109 N State Rd, Davison, MI 48423 (11 miles from Longway Planetarium)
Huckleberry Railroad, Village and Buffet: 6140 Bray Road, Flint, MI (6 miles from Longway Planetarium)
Best Michigan Christmas Things to See and Do!
We LOVE Christmas! Here are a few more Michigan Christmas ideas to brighten your holiday spirit!
Best Downtown Christmas Lights
Rochester Michigan Christmas Lights
- We were absolutely blown away by downtown Rochester's stunning lights! What an awesome December Michigan event!
- Crossroads Village, 6140 Bray Road, Flint, MI, Drive through only to see the Christmas lights. November 25-27, 2022, December 2-4, 9-11, 16-18, 21-23, and 28-30, 2022.
- Wayne County Light Fest-Drive Through There is a small fee per car.
- Fifth Third Christmas Lights Drive-Through, Grand Rapids, MI. Fee per car.
- The Big Bright Light Show, Rochester, Mi, Tuesday, November 21, 2022 – January 15, 2023. Starting at 5:00pm. Free.
Let's Celebrate New Years Eve! Best Michigan Events and Parties!
Let's ring in the new year in style! Grab out NEW YEARS EVE guide to the best Michigan parties, events and fun things to do! Plus we have several ideas for kids.
Pin This December Michigan Events and Fun Things to Do Page!
Don't miss a moment of December Michigan events and fun! Join our newsletter to have events and fun delivered directly to your inbox!
Travel-mi.com is not directly associated with local events. Information about these events is provided for planning purposes. While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this data, we cannot be held responsible for changes in dates, venues, etc.
What Michigan Events Are Coming Up Next?
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Join Us on Instagram, We're Fun!!
Check Out Our Traveling Michigan Videos on Youtube!
Check out our off-road Keweenaw Peninsula adventures on YouTube!
We would love to hear your ideas!
Share your Michigan events, stories, photos and ideas! We love to be inspired!
Traveling Michigan Home Page