2023 Michigan Fall Color MAP UPDATED TODAY Destinations, Hikes | Michigan Autumn Colors | When Can We Expect Fall Colors in Michigan? | Peak Fall Foliage Color Viewing Spots, Forecast and Predictions
2023 Michigan Fall Color Map, Michigan Autumn Colors | By: Sherry Trautman | Travel-Mi.com | Updated: October 1, 2023
Peak Fall Foliage Color Viewing Info and Forecasts! We call around the state weekly so you don't have too!
Are you planning a Michigan autumn color tour? Need a Michigan Fall Color Map to know the forecast for peak Michigan fall trees in both Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Michigan's Lower Peninsula?
- Wondering when the trees will change color in Michigan for leaf peeping? You came to the right the spot! Chris and I can't wait to see peak fall color this year!
Check out our fall foliage map with estimated dates for 2023 peak colors to see when the trees change to their gorgeous red, yellow and oranges!
Of course, be sure to watch Michigan weather reports as you plan your leaf peeping color tours of Michigan’s amazing fall foliage.
- 8 Incredible Color Drives, Hikes and Destinations listed below.
Michigan Fall Color Report and Predictions 2023
Did you know temperature and rain affect the changing leaves? Plus, we've studied current and also past peak fall color prediction maps from across the state and news sources. And of course, Chris and I have lived in Michigan our whole lives, so we document past peak times to create our best estimate of peak fall color time.
Peak Michigan Fall Color Map! When to See Michigan Autumn Colors
When Can We Expect Fall Colors in Michigan? Predictions expect an earlier fall color change this year...
Below is the very early predictions per the Farmers Almanac.
We will update this Michigan peak fall predictions map constantly when the time get closer. Start planning your leaf peeping color tours in late September and of course, check our Michigan fall color map frequently!
How to Use This Fall Color Predictions Map
These estimated dates for fall color change are based on meteorological forecasts and will keep changing in the upcoming days. Temperature and precipitation drives the colors.
- Chris and I will continuously monitor and update this Michigan fall color map as the Michigan weather and color predictions change.
Frequently Asked Questions: Where & When to See Fall Color in Michigan
Where Can I See Fall Color in Michigan?
Some of the best spots to see peak fall color is along Lake Michigan shoreline in Southwest Michigan. Hiking along the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is also a fantastic leaf peeping region that begins late September.
We have a great list of:
Michigan has several great scenic overlooks, hiking trails and leaf peeping opportunities all across the Mitten State.
What is the Best Time to See Fall Colors in Michigan?
The best time to see fall colors is from about September 25-October 16. Check our Michigan fall color map below!
Michigan's Upper Peninsula Region: Best Time for Fall Leaf Peeping (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and the Keweenaw Peninsula are Stunning!)
September 18, 2023 - October 8, 2023 (partial to peak). Update 9/13/23: Copper Harbor and Houghton Michigan region is already partial color.
- UPDATE September 29, 2023: Copper Harbor trees are changing and peak is estimated to be October 2-6, 2023. Houghton, Keweenaw Counties, Calumet, Marquette, Munising areas are almost peek. Interior sections have more color. Peak fall color expected through the first week of October.
Looking back at last year for reference, by October 13th, Munising was at full peak. Might be early this year.
You will have several weeks of September and the beginning of October to enjoy the fall colors in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan: When to See Peak Fall Color | Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Is Stunning!
September 27-October 15, 2023 (Partial to peak).
- UPDATE September 29, 2023: Mackinaw City is about 50% color. Petoskey is only about 30% color change, Harbor Springs 30%, Tunnel of Trees is 30% color change and these areas are estimating a few weeks out from peak.
- Tunnel of Trees should be about full color around October 15, 2023. This northern area takes longer than the Petoskey region.
Looking back at last year for reference, by October 14th, Boyne City and Cadillac were full color, Petoskey was 70% color.
Tunnel of Trees (scenic drive) should be full color around October 20, 2023. This northern area takes longer than the Petoskey region.
Mid Michigan - (Lower Peninsula and Central Michigan) Leaf Peeping
October 8-18, 2023 (Partial to peak). Come on out and enjoy the Michigan fall foliage 2023 during the first two weeks of October!
- UPDATE September 29, 2023: 15% Color Change in Midland, Frankenmuth. Ludington is 15% color change and about 25% along the shoreline. Cadillac is about 40% color change, expecting another 1.5 weeks until reaching peak color.
Looking back at last year for reference, by October 14th, Midland, Frankenmuth, Flint, Frankenmuth was full color.
Lower Southern Michigan and Southwest Michigan: Predicted Color Change
October 8-18, 2023 (Partial to Peak color change). Come on out and enjoy the Michigan fall foliage 2023 during the first two weeks of October!
- UPDATE September 29, 2023: 20% color in Ann Arbor, Detroit. Marshall is 25% color change.
Looking back at last year for reference, by October 20th, St Joseph was about peak. By October 14th, Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, Marshall, Detroit were full Color. Henry Ford/Village was full color then too! They were past peak color by October 20th.
Start planning your Michigan Fall Color Tours to bask in the beauty of Michigan's red, yellow and orange changing leaves!
TIP: It is helpful to contact the local Chamber of Commerce or Visitors Center to see if the colors have changed before you book or fully plan your road trip! Weather conditions may cause the leaves to change earlier (or later) than intended.
Michigan in the Fall | 8 Incredible Color Drives, Hikes and Destinations to Enjoy Beautiful Michigan in Autumn
One thing we know for sure, the 2023 Michigan fall foliage viewing season is going to be spectacular! Check out these 8 destinations and color drives!
- Fall Colors in Michigan - COLOR TOUR-13 EPIC PLACES with map
- Epic Michigan Fall Color Tour - COLOR TOUR - 9 AWESOME PLACES with a map
- Michigan in Fall - COLOR TOUR - 10 EPIC PLACES with map
- Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore - Let me say, visiting Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore this autumn should be on your Michigan Bucket List FOR SURE. Sleeping Bear Dunes has so many glorious hiking trails (like Empire Bluff and Pyramid) with grand vistas of Lake Michigan and the sand dunes.
- Leland (Fishtown) - Leland is a lovely town located in Northwest Michigan along Lake Michigan and Lake Leelanau. Plus, you can travel the incredibly scenic M22 Michigan highway. Leland is stunning in the fall as the trees along the shoreline change into brilliant hues of red, yellow and orange.
- Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive - Nearby Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive should also be on your Michigan Bucket List to see the fall colors. Tip: Before going to Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive, it's best to check this page or call the nearest Chamber of Commerce to see when the colors are changing. This area can remain green well after Petoskey is in full color. Mid-October is usually best.
- Brockway Mountain in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - The views from the top of Brockway Mountain are spectacular!
- Tour the Upper Peninsula and see Tahquamenon Falls and Kitch-Iti-Kipi! Both of these magnificent places are worth visiting in the fall.
Tour Michigan's Famous M-119 During Fall Color Peak!
If you want a fabulous color tour:
- Begin in Harbor Springs and follow west M-119.
- Enjoy the TUNNEL OF TREES along the way.
- Stop along the way at the Thorne Swift Nature Preserve to enjoy the natural beauty of the trees and Little Traverse Bay. The Thorne Swift Nature Preserve is such a beautiful place!
- Continue north through Hart and be sure to fun for some fun shopping and snacks!
- Finish your fall color tour near Cross Village with a meal at Legs Inn. Keep in mind, Legs Inn is closed on Tuesdays.
See Michigan's Incredible Waterfalls This Fall! Perfect Time to Visit Tahquamenon Falls State Park!
Upper Peninsula Waterfalls - Grab our extensive Upper Peninsula Waterfalls guide and map to see the fall colors!
Tahquamenon Falls - Tahquamenon Falls State Park is home to one of the largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi River! This incredible Upper Peninsula state park has 50,000 acres to hike miles of trails, explore and photograph the natural beauty of autumn.
Ocquoc Falls - Did you know Michigan's lower peninsula has an incredible waterfall? And it's super easy to access and will be glorious this fall.
Tour the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula To See the Fall Colors!
The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park offers 60,000 acres of lovely forests, breathtaking waterfalls, Lake Superior shoreline, rivers, and lots of hiking trails. It's the perfect time to visit Michigan’s largest state park! The Porcupines Mountains Visitor Center is a great first stop as they have interpretive programs, exhibits, a gift shop, hiking trail conditions, camping information and more.
See Michigan Fall Colors From the Sky!
What a fantastic way to see Michigan's Peak Fall Colors!! Grab our guide for Michigan Hot Air Balloon Rides Across the State!
Autumn Shows Us How Beautiful It Is To Let Things Go!
Where to See the Michigan Fall Colors and FUN Fall Activities
This fall, bring your family to explore Michigan's Best Apple Cider Mills! Many offer delicious warm apple cider, kids activities, warm donuts and lots of photo opportunities.
Also, Michigan's Pumpkin Patches are abundant across the state! Your kids will love to pick out their own pumpkins and you can take lots of photos!
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram, We're Fun!
Traveling Michigan Home Page