Jaw-dropping Munising Falls Winter Adventures | See This Frozen Waterfall in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore! | Fun Family Friendly Winter Activity!
Jaw-dropping Munising Falls Winter Adventures | See This Frozen Waterfall in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore!
By: Sherry Trautman | Travel-MI.com | Updated: November 2, 2022
This winter, try a new fun family friendly adventure! (try to say that 3 times!)
Bundle up your friends and family and check out the best frozen waterfalls located near Munising!
- One of the easiest frozen waterfalls to reach is Munising Falls, located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
During the winter, Munising Falls freezes solid to create beautiful ice formations that are so scenic and picturesque! Perfect Michigan winter activity for photographers!
- Plus, it's only a quarter-mile walk along sparkling Munising Creek to reach Munising Falls.
Chris and I absolutely love it and we bet you will too!
Where is Munising Falls?
Munising Falls is located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
This Map of Munising Falls will show you:
- Where to Park
- Munising Falls Visitor Center (1505 Sand Point Rd, Munising, MI 49862)
- Location of the Munising Falls
Use this live Google Map of Munising Falls to use as you drive!
Munising Falls Winter-Great Chance to Explore Michigan's Upper Peninsula!
Why visit Munising Falls in winter?
It's a different and incredibly beautiful winter adventure that gets you outside and moving! Plus it's easy to see these Munising frozen waterfalls!
- There are THREE platforms for your viewing pleasure! The main pathway does not involve climbing any stairs and is the easiest and safest way to view these Michigan Upper Peninsula frozen waterfalls.
Not only are the falls fabulous, but you get to see the rushing Munising Creek along the way!
How Far Of A Walk is Munising Falls?
Munising Falls is only a short (and flat) 800 foot walk from the parking lot. It's a boardwalk but it's covered in snow in the winter. The walk is definitely worth it as the pathway winds through a forest along the sparkling Munising Creek.
Check out our video above!
Munising Falls Winter Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are There Bathrooms? Yes, the bathrooms (flush toilets, running water) are open all winter. Munising Falls bathrooms are located at the beginning of the trail to the falls. (Located on our map above)
2. Is the Parking Lot Plowed? Yes, there is a large parking area that is plowed. But if there has been a hard snow the night before, it may take time to have the lot plowed.
3. Is the walk to the falls icy? We recommend staying on the main path. Be sure to have boots with good tread and you will most likely be fine. However, the two upper pathways can be extremely icy.
- See our recommendations below about using ice cleats. We wouldn't try it without them.
4. Is the Munising Falls Visitor Center open? Not in the winter! But there is a large permanent map of the falls and things to see in the area, just take a photo of it with your phone.
We HIGHLY Recommend Ice Cleats for Your Upper Peninsula Frozen Waterfalls Adventures
If you want to have firm footing, I highly highly highly recommend getting these inexpensive ice cleats from Amazon. They come in the pouch shown below and are awesome.
I'm wearing these cleats below on my boots and they are super easy to slip on and off. Plus, most importantly, they work. I logged in about 8 miles walking in these ice cleats and they didn't fall off once.
- I have a size medium for 8 1/2-9 size boots. Chris got a large for size 10 boots.
If you plan to traverse the other two pathways at Munising Falls that incorporate stairs, they most likely will be extremely icy and dangerous without cleats.
- You can watch Chris slide completely down the stairs in our video above since he wasn't wearing his ice cleats (shaking my head)!
So basically, I wouldn't attempt Munising Falls winter activities without the protection of cleats!
What is there to do in Munising in the winter?
If you are visiting Munising, you've got to see incredible frozen waterfalls, check out the breathtaking ice curtains and well, sit in your hotel's hot tub! ;)
Subscribe To Receive Exciting Destinations, Day Trips and Fun Directly to Your Inbox!
Traveling Michigan Newsletter
Sign Up to Our Newsletter to Get the 5 Free Must Have Apps to Travel in Michigan Like a Boss!
Follow Us on Instagram